Bullfrogs Commence Second Year Under Tutelage of Skip Handelsman
Green Bay, Wis.- For the second straight season, summer collegiate baseball veteran, Darrell "Skip" Handelsman will lead the Bullfrogs into Northwoods League competition. The Bullfrogs Field Manager with over 600 career victories welcomes a strong new group that includes a core group of returnees, first-year players, and a handful of local products.
Opening night, with a first pitch of 6:35PM, features an appearance from fullback, John Kuhn. It's also a Cellcom magnet schedule giveaway. The game is the first of four straight home contests for the Bullfrogs against the La Crosse Loggers (May 26-27) and St. Cloud Rox (May 28-29). The Bullfrogs finished a combined 8-4 against La Crosse and St. Cloud in 2014.
The Bullfrogs 2015 pitching rotation features two starters, Mike Ellenbest and Garrett Harrison, who posted some of the best numbers in all of Division II baseball this spring. Harrison, the opening night starter against La Crosse, is a lefty from St. Cloud State University who will begin his third consecutive stint in a Bullfrogs' uniform. Ellenbest, another 2014 Bullfrog, suits up having won GLIAC freshman of the year honors. The staff also features Appleton, WI native, Nathan Disch, who was one of Green Bay's most consistent hurlers at the back end of last summer, and Luke VanLanen from Pulaski, WI.
The rest of the Bullfrogs pitching staff exemplifies the strong level of experience fans should expect from them during the upcoming 72-game season. Fox Valley Lutheran H.S. graduate and UConn bullpen stalwart, Ryan Radue, comes home after playing for the Northwoods League champion Lakeshore Chinooks in 2014. Green Bay pitching coach, Ryan Van Amburg, recruited his top arm, flame-thrower Alex Martinez, to the team after a dominant campaign at De Anza College. Other players soon to make their appearances on the mound include Tommy Strunc (RHP/Creighton), Alex Katz (LHP/St. John's), and Tarik Skubal (LHP/Seattle).
Behind the plate, Green Bay welcomes back Franco Guardascione, a future Jacksonville University Dolphin. Joining him behind the plate will be Axel Poesmans from Belgium, who spent the past spring at the Globe Institute of Technology in New York.
In both the infield and outfield, Green Bay brings a spectrum of talented players from all over the country. Middle infielder Matthew De La Rosa comes back to Green Bay after posting monster numbers in the spring for the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears. First baseman, Ryan Donovan of Hofstra, presents power from the left-handed side of the dish. Rising sophomores, Jack Strunc and Tyler McDowell, head into Northwoods League play after strong showings for Washington State. In the outfield, Paul Jacobson and Caleb Ratzman add some of the best speed the league has to offer.
The Bullfrogs look to improve upon their 36-36 record from 2014 in which they were also deeply in the playoff hunt. They also look to capture their first Northwoods League Championship, eyeing their third ever franchise playoff appearance. Green Bay last clinched a post-season berth in 2011.
The Bullfrogs will open up the 2015 season at home on May 26th against the La Crosse Loggers. Group tickets, season tickets and 7-game packages are on sale now. The Bullfrogs off-season hours are Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. For more information please visit www.greenbaybullfrogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from May 26, 2015
- Growlers Drop Season Opener at Madison - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bullfrogs Drop Close Contest; Harrison Twirls 7 1/3 Strong Innings in Debut - Green Bay Booyah
- Gonsolin Powers Mallards to Victory over Growlers - Madison Mallards
- Lakeshore Chinooks Use Big 8th Inning to Win Opener - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Home Opener Postponed Due to Weath and Unplayable Conditions - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Postponed After Rain Hits Witter Field on Opening Day - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters out to Open Season on a High Note - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- John Kuhn to Appear at Joannes Stadium on Opening Day - Green Bay Booyah
- Hill Gets the Nod for Mallards on Opening Night - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Host St. Cloud Rox at Simmons Field at 7:05 p.m. Tonight on Opening Day - Kenosha Kingfish
- Three Players Added To Bullfrogs Roster - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Announce Partnership with Impact Networking for 2015 Season - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Commence Second Year Under Tutelage of Skip Handelsman - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Green Bay Booyah Stories
- Green Bay Booyah Single Game Tickets to Go on Sale Friday, April 26th
- Booyah Sign Three Players
- Packers Hall of Famer Jerry Kramer to Appear at Four Big Top Sports & Entertainment Ballparks
- Booyah Announce 5-Game Membership a Is Sold Out
- Green Bay Signs Two Infielders