Hill Gets the Nod for Mallards on Opening Night
Madison, Wis. - When the Madison Mallards open their 2015 Northwoods League schedule Tuesday night at Warner Park against the Kalamazoo Growlers, they will do so with Southeastern Community College left-handed pitcher Justin Hill on the mound in what will become his Northwoods League debut.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CT at the Duck Pond.
The Bettendorf, Ia., native receives the opening-night nod fresh off a sophomore campaign in which he went 5-3 with a 3.41 ERA across 10 starts for the Blackhawks, including a 11.4 K/9 ratio. Hill also held opposing lineups to a .196 batting average, one of the lowest marks among qualifying National Junior College Association pitchers this season.
To counter, Kalamazoo will send right-handed pitcher Ben Spieldenner out on the mound as its opening-night starting pitcher. The St. Joseph's College product went 1-0 with a 2.92 ERA and 20 strikeouts across 12.1 innings this season for the Pumas, while also batting .178 in 45 at-bats as an outfielder.
Opening-Day Dominance: Madison brings to Tuesday's contest a 6-1 opening-day record since the beginning of the 2009 Northwoods League season, and is a perfect 5-0 over their last five openers. In those games, the Mallards have plated close to twice as many runs (31) as their opponents (16) and have collectively batted .267 (47-for-176) at the dish.
Promotions A'plenty: Opening night will mark the beginning of Madison's promotional schedule with 'Dean & St. Mary's Opening Night Water Bottle Giveaway', in which fans are encouraged to pick up water bottles filled with stroke information at the front gates, while supplies last. The Chicago Boyz will also perform between two half-innings and after the game.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. To purchase tickets, log onto MallardsBaseball.com, call 608-246-4277 or stop by the Mallards ticket office.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from May 26, 2015
- Growlers Drop Season Opener at Madison - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bullfrogs Drop Close Contest; Harrison Twirls 7 1/3 Strong Innings in Debut - Green Bay Booyah
- Gonsolin Powers Mallards to Victory over Growlers - Madison Mallards
- Lakeshore Chinooks Use Big 8th Inning to Win Opener - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Honkers Home Opener Postponed Due to Weath and Unplayable Conditions - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Postponed After Rain Hits Witter Field on Opening Day - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rafters out to Open Season on a High Note - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- John Kuhn to Appear at Joannes Stadium on Opening Day - Green Bay Booyah
- Hill Gets the Nod for Mallards on Opening Night - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Host St. Cloud Rox at Simmons Field at 7:05 p.m. Tonight on Opening Day - Kenosha Kingfish
- Three Players Added To Bullfrogs Roster - Green Bay Booyah
- Mallards Announce Partnership with Impact Networking for 2015 Season - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Commence Second Year Under Tutelage of Skip Handelsman - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Mallards Rally Falls Shy in Traverse City
- Mallards Compete against Traverse City for Great Lakes Championship
- Mallards Explosive Offense and Strong Pitching Eliminates Rafters
- Mallards Put Rafters on Verge of Elimination
- Mallards Roll Rafters 9-2 to Open Playoffs