Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory
15-18 Second Half, 49-53 - Miami Marlins
vs. Hickory Crawdads
20-13 Second Half, 50-51 - Texas Rangers
Friday - 7:00 p.m.
First National Bank Field - Greensboro, N.C.
Game #103 of 138
LH Daniel Castano (2-2, 2.53) vs. RH Tyree Thompson (6-7, 3.57)
Today's Preview: The Grasshoppers (A, Marlins) return home for the first time in 10 days to host the Crawdads (A, Rangers) in a 3-game series at First National Bank Field. Greensboro is coming off a getaway day win at Lakewood to snap a 3-game losing skid while Hickory took three of its four games at Greenville as a part of their red-hot July. The Crawdads have gone 16-7 in July, tied with Lexington for the South Atlantic League's best record in this month, while the Hoppers are 9-15, which ties for the second-fewest wins in July behind 6-17 West Virginia.
Hoppers Hurler: Daniel Castano, 23, makes his sixth start for the Grasshoppers after opening this year as a starter with Class A-Advanced Jupiter. He is coming off a no decision despite tossing 7.0 shutout innings in Game 2 of a July 22 doubleheader at Delmarva, a game that Greensboro won in extras, 1-0. He has struck out 36 batters and walked none over 32.0 innings while plunking two batters in the SAL. This is his first career start against a Rangers affiliate. The left-hander began 2018 with a 5-6 record and 5.65 ERA (36 ER/57.1 IP), 37 strikeouts compared to 22 walks, and a .315 average against in 11 games (11 starts) in the Florida State League before a pair of rehab appearances with the GCL Marlins. His combined stats this season are 5-7 with a 5.43 ERA (40 ER/66.1 IP) in 13 games (12 starts). The Marlins acquired Castano on Dec. 14, 2017, as part of the trade that sent former Grasshopper and Major League outfielder Marcell Ozuna to the Cardinals. St. Louis selected Castano in the 19th round of the June 2016 First-Year Player Draft out of Baylor. He spent last season in the New York-Penn League, going 9-3 with a 2.57 ERA (26 ER/91.0 IP) and 81 strikeouts in 14 games (14 starts) with the State College Spikes.
About Last Night: Greensboro hit its way to a win, 6-2, over Lakewood on Thursday at FirstEnergy Park. The Grasshoppers out-hit the BlueClaws, 14-6, as Jose Devers paced the team with four hits, the second time in his career he has enjoyed a 4-hit game. Marcos Rivera and Isael Soto chipped in three hits apiece to aid the effort. Rivera belted a 2-run home run (10) in the fifth to push Greensboro up, 4-2, and the team added two more runs in the eighth. Scott Sebald (2-3) earned the win, tossing 5.0 innings and allowing two runs on two hits with five strikeouts and no walks. Damon Jones (7-5) took the loss, giving up four runs on eight hits over 6.0 innings. BlueClaws arms combined to strikeout 14 Hoppers, however Greensboro pitchers once again walked nobody in the 9-inning affair.
Connect Four: Jose Devers finished 4-for-5 with a run scored to become the third Grasshoppers with a 4-hit game this season. He joins Micah Brown, who went 4-4 with a double on June 26 vs. Kannapolis and Lazaro Alonso who went 4-5 with two RBI and two doubles on May 12 at Augusta. The last time a Grasshoppers hitter had five hits was Colby Lusignan on April 29, 2017 vs. Asheville.
No Free Passes: For the 19th time in 2018, Greensboro pitching allowed no walks in Thursday's win at Lakewood. Scott Sebald spearheaded a no-walk effort for the second time this season.
Date Opponent Pitchers (IP)
7/26 @LWD Sebald (5.0), Farnworth (1.2), Bautista (1.1), Mertz (1.0)
7/22-2 @DEL Castano (7.0), Mertz (2.0)
7/9 @LEX Castano (7.0), Hock (1.0)
7/4 LWD Castano (7.0), Mertz (1.0), Aiello (1.0)
7/2 @HIC Sebald (4.0), Guenther (3.0), Castellanos (1.0)
6/29 DEL Castano (6.0), Neubeck (1.0), Aiello (2.0)
6/25 KAN Beggs (5.0), Neubeck (2.0)
6/8 LWD Braley (7.0), Beggs (1.0), Rodriguez (1.0)
6/6 @DEL Lillie (7.0), Hock (2.0)
5/31 @LWD Lillie (6.0)
5/29 @LWD Miller (7.0), Neubeck (1.0)
5/26-1 @HAG Lillie (7.0)
5/20-2 LWD Beggs (4.0), Hock (3.0)
5/20-1 LWD Cabrera (7.0)
5/19 LWD Miller (6.0), Rodriguez (2.0), Neubeck (1.0)
5/10 @ASH Puckett (3.0), Bautista (3.0), Neubeck (2.0)
4/22 CSC Puckett (7.0), Neubeck (1.0), Frohwirth (1.0)
4/17 @LWD Puckett (7.0), Frohwirth (1.0), Bautista (1.0), Neubeck (0.2)
4/8 HIC Lillie (5.0), Reed (2.0), Peace (1.0), Frohwirth (1.0)
Staring Down a Sweep: Greensboro avoided being swept in a 4-game series for the first time this season with Thursday's win over Lakewood. The Grasshoppers were last swept May 9-11 at Asheville in a 3-game set. The Hoppers have been swept just one other time this season, April 9-11 vs. Augusta.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Grasshoppers Stories
- Grasshoppers New Field Manager Visiting Greensboro on Monday
- Grasshoppers New Field Manager Visiting Greensboro on Monday
- Grasshoppers Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Greensboro Grasshoppers Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Greensboro Grasshoppers Extend Naming Rights Partnership with First National Bank