Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101)
Columbia Fireflies (14-19, 48-52) @ Augusta GreenJackets (13-21, 50-52)
RHP Marcel Renteria (2-1, 4.89) vs. LHP Caleb Baragar (0-1, 4.33)
Fri., July 27, 2018 - SRP Park (No. Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 101
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: The Fireflies dropped the series finale 14-5 to the Braves on Thursday at State Mutual Stadium. Matt Winaker and Zach Rheams had excellent games at the plate.
- Winaker: 3-4, 3 R, 2B
*Fourth career three-hit game*
- Rheams: 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI
*Career high three RBIs*
INTERSTATE 20 RIVALRY: Columbia and Augusta have met 18 times this season. Nine of these battles have been decided by two runs or less. Amongst the current roster, Hansel Moreno has the highest batting average (.317) against the GreenJackets.
ADJUSTMENT: Edgardo Fermin has played 72 games at shortstop this season. However, recently, the 20-year-old has shifted to centerfield. He's only played 11 total games in CF, but three of these have come over his last three games.
RUNS IN THE FAMILY: Edgardo Alfonzo's nephew, Gio, has had a great week at the plate for the Fireflies. The 25-year-old is on a five-game hitting streak. Alfonzo has been the ultimate utility player as well. He's been placed at six different positions throughout the season.
GOOD FORMULA: Columbia's offense is tied for the most walks (319) and has struck out the fewest times (725) in the South Atlantic League.
TRANSITIONING WELL: Since earning a promotion, Ali Sanchez is off to a strong start with the St. Lucie Mets. The former Firefly holds a .298 batting average through 17 games. The 21-year-old is currently the 26th rated Mets prospect according to MLB.com.
YOUNG AND SKILLED: Mets top prospect and former Firefly Andres Gimenez was promoted to Double-A Binghamton Monday. The 19-year-old is now the second-youngest player at the Double-A level (Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is the youngest). Gimenez left Advanced-A St. Lucie tied for the league-lead with 28 stolen bases. He also hit .282 in 86 games with the Mets.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta