Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game
CHARLESTON- The Asheville Tourists have reverted to their early season woes. Asheville lost 13 of their first 16 contests of the year by making the same mistakes they have made over the last week of play. Their most recent defeat, their sixth straight, a 7-2 loss at the hands of the West Virginia Power.
The Power pounded out 15 hits, albeit most of them were groundballs and bloop singles. The Tourists were charged with two errors in the game although that number should have been five.
Asheville's offense finished with only five hits; however, they had multiple chances to score runs and they did not need hits to do so. On two occasions Asheville had a runner at third base with one out; one of those was a bases-loaded opportunity. The Tourists failed to score in both innings.
Where the Tourists failed the Power succeeded. West Virginia went three straight innings from the second through the fourth with a two-out RBI base hit to help them build a 5-1 lead. Asheville's first run came on a double-steal with Bret Boswell and Sean Bouchard.
The Tourists plated their second run of the game on an RBI single by Ryan Vilade in the fifth. The Vilade single was Asheville's only hit with runners in scoring position where they went 1-for-9. The Tourists are now 1-for-their-last-25 with runners in scoring position over their last four games - all losses.
Boswell finished 2-for-3 with a double and two runs scored. Nate Harris tossed two perfect innings out of Asheville's bullpen.
Asheville will attempt to snap their longest losing streak of the season on Saturday night against the Power at 6:05pm. West Virginia snapped a seven-game losing streak with their win over the Tourists on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.