Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs
Charleston, SC - One day after falling out of first place in the Southern Division, the Greenville Drive hopped right back into first thanks to a 4-2 defeat of the Charleston RiverDogs on Friday.
The Drive (19-15, 44-59) used a pair of multi-run innings and two terrific efforts on the mound in victory.
Trailing 1-0 entering the the fourth, Tanner Nishioka got his big night started with an RBI double to right field to score Marino Campana, and Zach Sterry followed with a sacrifice fly to put the Drive up 2-1.
In the sixth inning with the score tied at two, three consecutive singles, including the go-ahead hit by Nishioka, chased Janson Junk (4-3) from the game. Later in the inning, Everlouis Lozada delivered an RBI hit of his own to make the score 4-2.
Jhonathan Diaz (7-6) got the win for the Drive by allowing only one earned run over five and one-third innings with seven strikeouts. He was followed by Juan Florentino, who was outstanding in giving up just one hit and one walk in three and two-third scoreless relief innings to pick up his second save.
The RiverDogs (17-16, 50-51) received RBI hits from Oswaldo Cabrera and Jason Lopez in defeat.
Nishioka paced the Drive offense with three hits and two RBI.
Saturday's matchup in Charleston begins at 6:05 PM. Right-hander Kutter Crawford (5-4, 2.88) takes the ball for the Drive against RiverDogs right-hander Alex Mauricio (0-1, 13.50).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.