Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs
Charleston, SC - One day after falling out of first place in the Southern Division, the Greenville Drive hopped right back into first thanks to a 4-2 defeat of the Charleston RiverDogs on Friday.
The Drive (19-15, 44-59) used a pair of multi-run innings and two terrific efforts on the mound in victory.
Trailing 1-0 entering the the fourth, Tanner Nishioka got his big night started with an RBI double to right field to score Marino Campana, and Zach Sterry followed with a sacrifice fly to put the Drive up 2-1.
In the sixth inning with the score tied at two, three consecutive singles, including the go-ahead hit by Nishioka, chased Janson Junk (4-3) from the game. Later in the inning, Everlouis Lozada delivered an RBI hit of his own to make the score 4-2.
Jhonathan Diaz (7-6) got the win for the Drive by allowing only one earned run over five and one-third innings with seven strikeouts. He was followed by Juan Florentino, who was outstanding in giving up just one hit and one walk in three and two-third scoreless relief innings to pick up his second save.
The RiverDogs (17-16, 50-51) received RBI hits from Oswaldo Cabrera and Jason Lopez in defeat.
Nishioka paced the Drive offense with three hits and two RBI.
Saturday's matchup in Charleston begins at 6:05 PM. Right-hander Kutter Crawford (5-4, 2.88) takes the ball for the Drive against RiverDogs right-hander Alex Mauricio (0-1, 13.50).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Drive Announces Coaching Staff for 15th Anniversary Season
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Drive Recognized with Multiple South Atlantic League Awards
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive