Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap
The Crawdads have stayed hot over the past week (since last Friday), going 5-2. They are currently in second place in the Northern Division, just a game behind the Lakewood BlueClaws. The 'Dads lead the South Atlantic League with a .275 team batting average in July and are second in the league with a team ERA of 2.80 during the month. Their 16-7 record in July is tied for the best record in the league.
On Friday night (July 20), the Crawdads picked up a victory over the Intimidators, winning 4-1. Miguel Aparicio hit a solo homerun, his third homerun in his last six games. Bubba Thompson also brought in a pair with his fourth triple of the season. AJ Alexy delivered six scoreless innings for the 'Dads and Joe Barlow earned his third save of the season.
The 'Dads won their third straight over the Intimidators on Saturday night. Pedro Gonzalez hit his tenth homerun of the season in the 7-4 victory, which ties him for the team lead. Tyree Thompson pitched four scoreless innings of relief and got his sixth win of the season.
The Crawdads were unable to complete the sweep on Sunday, falling 2-1 in 10 innings. Tyler Ratliff hit a solo homerun, his seventh homerun of the season. Tyler Thomas, acquired by the Rangers in a trade with the Cubs on Thursday evening, was strong in his 'Dads debut, pitching four hitless innings.
The team got back in the win column on Monday night in Greenville behind Tyler Phillips, who delivered another strong start, throwing six innings and allowing only one run. The 'Dads would go on to win 6-1 to give Phillips his eighth victory of the season. Tyler Ratliff and Tyreque Reed each hit homeruns while Yohel Pozo had a pair of doubles. Yonny Hernandez singled to extend his hitting streak to ten games.
Tuesday's game was postponed due to weather. The 'Dads and Drive made up the game in a doubleheader on Wednesday evening. The Crawdads lost 4-1 in the first game, managing just three hits and they all came from Sam Huff. Huff had a pair of singles and a solo homerun.
The Crawdads rebounded in the second game, beating the Drive 7-1. Sam Huff once again fueled the offense, hitting a two-run homer and a three-run homer. It was the first multi-homer game of Huff's professional career and the most RBIs in a game (5) he has had since being drafted in 2016. Pedro Gonzalez and Ryan Dorow also drove in a run. Bubba Thompson stole his 20th base of the season while Yonny Hernandez stole his 25th. Reid Anderson finished the seven inning game, his first complete start. He allowed one run (unearned) and struck out seven while not walking anyone.
Last night the 'Dads defeated the Drive 5-2 and took the series three games to one. Bubba Thompson collected three hits and Yohel Pozo hit his ninth homerun of the season. Seven different 'Dads had a hit in the victory.
The 'Dads are in Greensboro this weekend and will return home on Monday to for a three game series against the Charleston RiverDogs.
Promotions Feature: Battle of the Bags
We want to highlight some of our upcoming promotions and tell you about what we have planned for you on those nights. This week we are spotlighting Battle of the Bags.
Battle of the Bags, our annual cornhole tournament, will take place on Thursday, August 9th. Advance registration is $30 for a team of two and includes two game tickets, two commemorative tee shirts, and a chance to win the $200 grand prize! The tournament will begin at 6pm and the Crawdads game will start at 7pm.
The registration form and be found here
The 'Dads are back in town on Monday for a three game series against the Charleston RiverDogs!
The 'Dads are currently in second place, just a game behind the Lakewood BlueClaws.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Power Offense Explodes for 15 Hits to Snap Skid - West Virginia Power
- Lopez Stays Hot But Dogs Outlasted by Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Storm Back to Top Suns with Five-Run Eighth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Dunlap Homers Twice as Suns Blow Seven-Run Lead - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Open Series with Win over RiverDogs - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Winner - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Drop Sixth Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Game One to Braves, But Remain Atop Southern Division - Lexington Legends
- Campos Strikes out Career-High Nine in Extra-Inning Defeat - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fall Flat in K-Town Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Castano Tosses 6.0 Scoreless in Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 27 at Augusta (Game 101) - Columbia Fireflies
- - Lexington Legends and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Lexington Legends
- Preview: Hoppers Home against Hickory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 27) - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies and BUSH's Beans Are Teaming up against Hunger - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader on Thursday Night - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.