Potomac's Four-Run Seventh Inning Dooms Birds on Wednesday
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans overcame a three-run deficit and took a 7-3 lead, but could not hang on as the Potomac Nationals stormed back to claim game three of the series 9-7 on Wednesday night from Northwest Federal Field.
The Nationals (33-30, 64-67) wasted no time finding the board in the third game of the series on Wednesday. The P'Nats scored three runs in the bottom of the first inning to jump out in front against Brendon Little .
Big league rehabber, Ryan Zimmerman, put the Nationals up 1-0 with an RBI single and two batters later KJ Harrison made it 3-0 with a two-run homer to left.
Francys Peguero held the Pelicans (33-32, 54-78) off the scoreboard in the first two innings of the contest, but ran into trouble in the third. D.J. Artis walked to lead off the inning and after a single from Carlos Sepulveda , Cam Balego launched a three-run homer to left center that evened the score at 3-3.
The Pelicans tacked on two more runs in the frame when Kevonte Mitchell blooped a two-out, two-run single to right that scored Luke Reynolds and Delvin Zinn and gave the Pelicans a 5-3 lead.
Myrtle Beach extended their lead to 7-3 in the top of the fifth inning. Grant Fennell led the inning off with a single and advanced to second on an error before he came in to score on a sacrifice fly from Zinn that made it 6-3 and Aramis Ademan added on another with an RBI single that pushed the lead to 7-3.
In the bottom of the fifth, the P'Nats found the scoreboard again. Osvaldo Abreu reached on a walk and advanced to second on a single from Zimmerman. Aldrem Corredor then skied a ball to center, Artis raced back and made the catch, but Abreu tagged from second and rounded third and scored on the play to cut the gap to 7-4.
Potomac added on a run in the sixth inning on an RBI double form Abreu that closed the gap to 7-5.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Nationals exploded for four runs to take a 9-7 lead.
Zimmerman reached on an error to lead off the inning and after back-to-back singles from Corredor and Harrison loaded the bases, Alex Dunlap tied the game at 7-7 with a two-run single off of Jesus Camargo (L, 4-3)
The Nationals were not done as they added on two more when Omar Meregildo brought in two with a single that gave the P'Nats a 9-7 lead and that was the final.
Ryan Tapani (W, 1-3) fired four innings and allowed just two runs to earn the win.
The Pelicans will look to earn the series split on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. as they take on the Nationals for the final time this season. RHP Enrique De Los Rios (1-2, 2.27) will take the hill in the finale against LHP Carson Teel (6-3, 3.21) for the Nationals. Coverage starts at 6:50 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Sunitsch, Hardy and Bickford Combine on 5-0 Shutout - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Stun Red Sox 12-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Offense Silenced in Zebulon - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Rally from Behind in 9-7 Win - Potomac Nationals
- Warthogs Crush Four Homers in 12-3 Win over Salem on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Potomac's Four-Run Seventh Inning Dooms Birds on Wednesday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Peralta and Escarra Lead Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Frederick Blanks Down East To Take Series Lead - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hartson, Pinto Dominant as Hillcats Shut Down Blue Rocks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- C Payton Henry placed on Carolina injured list - Carolina Mudcats
- August 28 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Lebron Selected for Ariozona Fall League - Frederick Keys
- Three Wood Ducks to Compete in Arizona Fall League - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF D.J. Artis activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 28 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Jeremy Pena and Jojanse Torres Selected to Join Arizona Fall League - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Winston-Salem Warthogs: Game Notes (August 28 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 28 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 2019 Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Wallop Mudcats 10-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Fayetteville Crushes Carolina with 10 Run Showing - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.