Hartson, Pinto Dominant as Hillcats Shut Down Blue Rocks
Lynchburg, Va. - The Lynchburg Hillcats pitching staff shut down the Wilmington Blue Rocks from start to finish on Wednesday, winning by a 3-0 score in the third game of the series.
Lynchburg (29-34, 61-69) scored early and held on against the Blue Rocks (35-30, 79-55) for the seventh straight game between the two teams decided by three runs or fewer.
In the first inning, the Hillcats got a one-out single from Tyler Freeman. After Freeman stole second, Mitch Reeves delivered him home with a single to put the Hillcats up 1-0.
Lynchburg piled onto its advantage in the third. With one out, Steven Kwan and Freeman got aboard with back-to-back singles. Gavin Collins ripped a two-run double to expand the Hillcats' lead to 3-0. The Hillcats would hold onto that lead for the entirety of the ballgame.
Brock Hartson (Win, 2-2) was dominant in the start, tossing seven innings while giving up just a hit and a walk, striking out seven. Aaron Pinto (Save, 3) tossed two scoreless frames on the back end out of the bullpen.
Jesse Hahn (Loss, 0-1), the MLB rehabber, opened up the contest for the Blue Rocks by spinning an inning of one-run ball. Austin Cox worked six innings while surrendering two earned runs, striking out seven batters. Robert Garcia fired a scoreless ninth inning.
The Hillcats will look to secure the series win in the finale on Thursday. The Hillcats will look to left-hander Kirk McCarty (3-6, 5.37), who will square off against lefty Daniel Lynch (4-2, 3.36). First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
Thursday's game will also be a Thirsty Thursday with $2 specials on Coors Lite and Yuengling. Homestand highlights also include Fantastic Friday, Sparkling Saturday, and Sandlot Sunday. Friday's game will be Margaritaville Night at City Stadium with a Jimmy Buffett cover band and an Aloha Jersey Auction as well as a sunglasses giveaway courtesy of High Peak Sportswear. Saturday's game will have the final fireworks show of the season at City Stadium.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Sunitsch, Hardy and Bickford Combine on 5-0 Shutout - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Stun Red Sox 12-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Offense Silenced in Zebulon - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Rally from Behind in 9-7 Win - Potomac Nationals
- Warthogs Crush Four Homers in 12-3 Win over Salem on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Potomac's Four-Run Seventh Inning Dooms Birds on Wednesday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Peralta and Escarra Lead Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Frederick Blanks Down East To Take Series Lead - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hartson, Pinto Dominant as Hillcats Shut Down Blue Rocks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- C Payton Henry placed on Carolina injured list - Carolina Mudcats
- August 28 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Lebron Selected for Ariozona Fall League - Frederick Keys
- Three Wood Ducks to Compete in Arizona Fall League - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF D.J. Artis activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 28 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Jeremy Pena and Jojanse Torres Selected to Join Arizona Fall League - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Winston-Salem Warthogs: Game Notes (August 28 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 28 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 2019 Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Wallop Mudcats 10-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Fayetteville Crushes Carolina with 10 Run Showing - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- All-Star Classic Highlights Hillcats' 2020 Schedule
- Alvarez Added to Arizona Fall League Roster
- Karinchak Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 182nd Hillcat to Make Majors
- Sulser Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 181st Hillcat to Make Majors
- Teaney Added to Arizona Fall League Roster