Hartson, Pinto Dominant as Hillcats Shut Down Blue Rocks
Lynchburg, Va. - The Lynchburg Hillcats pitching staff shut down the Wilmington Blue Rocks from start to finish on Wednesday, winning by a 3-0 score in the third game of the series.
Lynchburg (29-34, 61-69) scored early and held on against the Blue Rocks (35-30, 79-55) for the seventh straight game between the two teams decided by three runs or fewer.
In the first inning, the Hillcats got a one-out single from Tyler Freeman. After Freeman stole second, Mitch Reeves delivered him home with a single to put the Hillcats up 1-0.
Lynchburg piled onto its advantage in the third. With one out, Steven Kwan and Freeman got aboard with back-to-back singles. Gavin Collins ripped a two-run double to expand the Hillcats' lead to 3-0. The Hillcats would hold onto that lead for the entirety of the ballgame.
Brock Hartson (Win, 2-2) was dominant in the start, tossing seven innings while giving up just a hit and a walk, striking out seven. Aaron Pinto (Save, 3) tossed two scoreless frames on the back end out of the bullpen.
Jesse Hahn (Loss, 0-1), the MLB rehabber, opened up the contest for the Blue Rocks by spinning an inning of one-run ball. Austin Cox worked six innings while surrendering two earned runs, striking out seven batters. Robert Garcia fired a scoreless ninth inning.
The Hillcats will look to secure the series win in the finale on Thursday. The Hillcats will look to left-hander Kirk McCarty (3-6, 5.37), who will square off against lefty Daniel Lynch (4-2, 3.36). First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
Thursday's game will also be a Thirsty Thursday with $2 specials on Coors Lite and Yuengling. Homestand highlights also include Fantastic Friday, Sparkling Saturday, and Sandlot Sunday. Friday's game will be Margaritaville Night at City Stadium with a Jimmy Buffett cover band and an Aloha Jersey Auction as well as a sunglasses giveaway courtesy of High Peak Sportswear. Saturday's game will have the final fireworks show of the season at City Stadium.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Sunitsch, Hardy and Bickford Combine on 5-0 Shutout - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Stun Red Sox 12-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Offense Silenced in Zebulon - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Rally from Behind in 9-7 Win - Potomac Nationals
- Warthogs Crush Four Homers in 12-3 Win over Salem on Wednesday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Potomac's Four-Run Seventh Inning Dooms Birds on Wednesday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Peralta and Escarra Lead Keys to Shutout Win - Frederick Keys
- Frederick Blanks Down East To Take Series Lead - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hartson, Pinto Dominant as Hillcats Shut Down Blue Rocks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- C Payton Henry placed on Carolina injured list - Carolina Mudcats
- August 28 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Lebron Selected for Ariozona Fall League - Frederick Keys
- Three Wood Ducks to Compete in Arizona Fall League - Down East Wood Ducks
- OF D.J. Artis activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 28 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Jeremy Pena and Jojanse Torres Selected to Join Arizona Fall League - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Winston-Salem Warthogs: Game Notes (August 28 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 28 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 2019 Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Woodpeckers Wallop Mudcats 10-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Fayetteville Crushes Carolina with 10 Run Showing - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.