Plates Serve up Soggy Win
The Rochester Plates beat the Columbus Clippers 6-2 Thursday afternoon at Frontier Field. The teams played in rainy condtions that persisted for most of the game. The Charlotte Knights come to town to open a three-game set on Friday night, Star Wars Night at the ballpark with post-game fireworks.
Harvard Graduate Sean Poppen took the mound for the Plates on a rainy afternoon in Rochester.
The Plates struck first in the bottom half of the first inning, scoring three runs against Clippers starter Shao-Ching Chiang. Following back to back singles from Luis Arraez and Nick Gordon to start the inning, Willians Astudillo hit a sacrifice fly to center to put Rochester ahead 1-0. Wilin Rosario increased the lead to 3-0 later in the inning with his two RBI drive landing just short of the wall in left-center field.
After a scoreless second inning, Rosario came through once again in the third with a runner in scoring position. His line drive down the left field line was enough to score Astudillo from second, pushing Rochester's lead to 4-0.
Ryan Flaherty answered back for Columbus in the fourth inning, hitting an RBI single to cut the lead to 4-1.
Following back to back one-out singles by Jake Cave and Brent Rooker, Chiang was replaced on the mound for the Clippers in the fifth inning. His day concluded having pitched 4.1 innings with nine hits, five runs, one walk, and six strikeouts on 98 pitches, 58 for strikes. Rosario tacked on his third RBI hit of the night, doubling and scoring Cave. Rooker tried to score from first on Rosario's hit but was thrown out at the plate, keeping the score 5-1.
Columbus' Daniel Johnson hit a leadoff triple in the top of the sixth and scored on a groundball. Rochester's lead was 5-2 through six and a half innings.
Astudillo continued his hot hitting in the bottom half of the sixth inning, putting the Plates ahead 6-2 after driving home Drew Maggi on a line drive single to center.
Plates relief pitcher Jake Reed came on to begin the seventh inning, replacing Poppen who threw an exceptional game. Poppen pitched 6.0 innings with a line of five hits, two runs, one of which were earned, one walk, nine strikeouts, 57 strikes on 91 pitches.
Reed allowed one hit and struck out three in his two scoreless relief innings. Reed has allowed just one earned run over his past five outings (10 innings pitched).
Preston Guilmet pitched the ninth inning, setting down the side in order with a big assist from Maggi - who made a diving snag to take away a hit from Eric Haase. Maggi threw to first base from his knees after the stop, getting Haase for the game's final out.
Rosario was 4-for-4 with 4 RBI for the Plates, who out-hit the Clippers 14-6.
Winning pitcher: Poppen (4-0)
Losing pitcher: Chiang (4-5)
Box Score: Click here for the box score and play-by-play narrative.
NOTES: INF Nick Gordon extended his hit streak to 11 games and on base streak to 18 games with his first inning single... INF Drew Maggi was 0-for-3 with a walk and a run score, but saw his six-game hitting streak end... C Wynston Sawyer's on-base streak ended at 11 games.
THIS DAY IN RED WINGS HISTORY
1933 - Fritz Ostermueller got his tenth victory of the season, for the Red Wings, with his complete game win over the Newark Bears 6-4 in New Jersey.
1988 - Red Wings' pitcher Mark Thurmond allowed three runs in a complete game as Rochester beat Omaha 8-3 in Nebraska. The win put Rochester within a half-game of Columbus for the IL West lead.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Bisons Complete Indy Sweep, Win 11-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Swept by Bisons, Lose Fifth Straight at Home - Indianapolis Indians
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in Bats Loss to Pawtucket, 10-8 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Outlasts Lehigh Valley in 11 Innings, 5-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs take loss in extra innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zimmermann Tosses in Rehab as Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- PawSox Come from Behind, Top Bats, 10-8 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Win Series with 6-5 Victory over Knights on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Knights Edged by Syracuse 6-5 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Complete Sweep of Mud Hens - Durham Bulls
- Plates Serve up Soggy Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-28) vs. Buffalo Bisons (29-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides Cool RailRiders with Narrow Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-37) at Louisville Bats (26-39) - Louisville Bats
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host Tim Tebow and the Syracuse Mets, Pink in the Park Night - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings Continue Curbside Concessions
- Red Wings to Host Virtual Race May 11-17
- Red Wings to Host Virtual Race to Benefit Health Care Workers
- Red Wings Team up with LiDestri Food and Drink, United Way of Greater Rochester
- Letter from Team President Naomi Silver