Gwinnett Outlasts Lehigh Valley in 11 Innings, 5-4
ALLENTOWN, PA. - The Gwinnett Stripers (36-29) defeated the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (32-31) by a 5-4 score in 11 innings Thursday night in the final of the three-game series at Cola-Cola Park. An RBI double in the top of the 11th by Jack Lopez was the game winner.
Scoring Recap: The IronPigs took a 1-0 lead by scoring an unearned run on a wild pitch by Gwinnett starting pitcher Patrick Weigel. Gwinnett tied the game at one in the top of the sixth on an RBI single by Rafael Ortega. Ortega then delivered a two-RBI double in the top of the eighth for a 3-1 Stripers lead. However, Ali Castillo drilled two-RBI single in the bottom of the ninth to send the game to extra innings. In the top of the 10th Sean Kazmar Jr. drew a bases loaded walk to give Gwinnett a 5-4 lead, but Lehigh Valley tied the game in the bottom of the 10th on a RBI single to left by Jan Hernandez. The winning run was scored in the top of the 11th on an RBI double to center by Lopez.
Stripers Stats: Weigel went 4.0 innings with one unearned run and four strikeouts. Connor Johnstone (W, 1-0) picked up the win with 2.0 innings, one unearned run and two strikeouts. Ortega was 2-for-5 at the plate with a double and three RBIs. Kazmar Jr. went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
IronPigs Stats: Ramon Rosso started for Lehigh Valley and worked 6.0 innings with one unearned run and nine strikeouts. Kyle Dohy (L, 1-3) took the loss out of the bullpen, he pitched 1.0 inning with one unearned run and one strikeout. Offensively, former Gwinnett catcher Rob Brantley led the IronPigs with a 2-for-4 night. Castillo was 2-for-5 with two RBIs.
Postgame Notes: Andres Blanco was 1-for-5 and has now hit safely in nine of 11 games in June. Ortega extended his hitting streak to nine games. The Stripers struck out a season high 18 times.
Next Game (Friday, June 14): Gwinnett at Syracuse, 7:05 p.m. at NBT Bank Stadium. RHP Kyle Wright (3-4, 7.22 ERA) will pitch for the Stripers vs. TBD for the Mets. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Bisons Complete Indy Sweep, Win 11-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Swept by Bisons, Lose Fifth Straight at Home - Indianapolis Indians
- Aquino Extends Hit Streak in Bats Loss to Pawtucket, 10-8 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Outlasts Lehigh Valley in 11 Innings, 5-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs take loss in extra innings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Zimmermann Tosses in Rehab as Hens Fall - Toledo Mud Hens
- PawSox Come from Behind, Top Bats, 10-8 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mets Win Series with 6-5 Victory over Knights on Thursday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Knights Edged by Syracuse 6-5 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Complete Sweep of Mud Hens - Durham Bulls
- Plates Serve up Soggy Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-28) vs. Buffalo Bisons (29-34) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Tides Cool RailRiders with Narrow Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Pawtucket Red Sox (27-37) at Louisville Bats (26-39) - Louisville Bats
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host Tim Tebow and the Syracuse Mets, Pink in the Park Night - Gwinnett Stripers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Wilson Tosses Gem in Gwinnett's 12-1 Rout of Rochester
- Demeritte, Allard Key Stripers' 5-1 Win over Rochester
- Hoekstra and Unroe Achieve Firsts as Stripers Beat Rochester
- Lien's Homers Back Foltynewicz in 11-2 Rout of Lehigh Valley
- Lopez Drives in Four to Lead Gwinnett over Lehigh Valley