Pigs' rally from down 7-0 cut short as Columbus wins 10-9
(Columbus, OH) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (34-48) rally down 7-0 was nothing to be ashamed of as they battled back to take a 9-7 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth inning. The Columbus Clippers (44-30) scored three runs to win 10-9 and send Lehigh Valley to Syracuse without winning a series in Ohio.
The Pigs trailed early as Adam Rosales hit a two-run home run off Josh Tols in the bottom of the second inning to give Columbus a 2-0 lead. The Clippers extended their lead to 6-0 against Tols as Yu Chang homered, Brandon Barnes scored on a fielding error by Ali Castillo and Dioner Navarro hitting an RBI single.
Chang scored with the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth inning against John Curtiss to give Columbus a 7-0 lead.
Six runs came across home plate for the Pigs against Michael Peoples in the top of the fifth inning to cut the Clippers lead to 7-6. Jan Hernandez got the offense started with an RBI double then scored on a two-run home run by Andrew Romine. Phil Gosselin hit an RBI single and Rob Brantly hit a two-run double.
Lane Adams tied the game at 7-7 in the top of the eighth inning by hitting a home run off Josh D. Smith. Nick Williams and Austin Listi hit home runs off Argenis Angulo (1-0) in the top of the ninth inning to give Lehigh Valley a 9-7 lead.
Yacksel Rios (1-3) allowed all three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning. Greg Allen hit an RBI double and Chang won the game for Columbus by hitting a two-run single.
Drew Anderson started the game for Lehigh Valley and only pitched 1 1/3 inning. Austin Davis and Fernando Salas each pitched two scoreless innings in relief.
The Pigs travel to Syracuse to play the Mets in a two-game set. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. on Monday night.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Red Wings End Ohio Trip with 7-1 Loss Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- The Candy Man Can Lead the Mud Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bichette Has 4-Hit Day in Bisons' 8-1 Win over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Walked off After Erasing 7-0 Deficit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs' rally from down 7-0 cut short as Columbus wins 10-9 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Take Series in Pawtucket with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders top Durham Bulls as Logan Morrison ties franchise record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Allard, Duvall Lead Gwinnett over Syracuse 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indians Come Back to Take Series Finale from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Taijeron Homers in Mets 5-1 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-34) at Pawtucket Red Sox (31-42) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Lyles Set for Major League Rehab Start with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric to Televise Phillies Winter Caravan
- IronPigs and Phillies Renew Affiliation Thru 2030
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast