Indians Come Back to Take Series Finale from PawSox
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - For the fourth time in six games so far on the homestand, the Pawtucket Red Sox (31-43) dropped a one-run contest, falling in the rubber game of their three-game set with the Indianapolis Indians (39-34) by a 4-3 final.
Against the big-league rehabbing Jordan Lyles, Gorkys Hernández lifted a solo home run over the right-field wall in the third inning to put Pawtucket in front 1-0.
The Indians were kept in check by PawSox starter Ryan Weber until the sixth inning, when Cole Tucker hit a solo shot to tie the game at 1.
But Bryce Brentz responded with a 412-foot blast into the berm in left-center field to put Pawtucket back in front 2-1 in the home half of the sixth. It was Brentz's second-straight game with a home run.
Indianapolis took the lead in the seventh inning when Nick Franklin delivered a two-run single to make it 3-2.
Pawtucket tied it again in the eighth on an RBI single from Brentz.
In the ninth, Christian Kelley lined an opposite-field single to put his team ahead 4-3.
The PawSox put the lead runner on in the ninth and loaded the bases, but they were unable to score off Luis Escobar.
Coming off a no-decision on Wednesday in the second game of the doubleheader against Durham, Weber was superb. The right-hander went the first 6 innings, yielding just 2 hits, 1 earned run, and 1 walk. Weber retired 13 of the first 14 batters he faced. He also induced 12 ground outs.
The PawSox welcome in the Buffalo Bisons for a two-game series at McCoy beginning tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket left-hander Darwinzon Hernandez (0-0, 1.80) is scheduled to oppose Bisons lefty Thomas Pannone (0-0, 2.70).
Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
The homestand runs through Tuesday, June 25. Tomorrow will be Quarter Dog Night at McCoy as fans can purchase up to five hot dogs at a time for just 25 cents apiece. Tuesday, the final day of the homestand, is another Osos Polares night.
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Red Wings End Ohio Trip with 7-1 Loss Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- The Candy Man Can Lead the Mud Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bichette Has 4-Hit Day in Bisons' 8-1 Win over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Walked off After Erasing 7-0 Deficit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs' rally from down 7-0 cut short as Columbus wins 10-9 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Take Series in Pawtucket with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders top Durham Bulls as Logan Morrison ties franchise record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Allard, Duvall Lead Gwinnett over Syracuse 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indians Come Back to Take Series Finale from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Taijeron Homers in Mets 5-1 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-34) at Pawtucket Red Sox (31-42) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Lyles Set for Major League Rehab Start with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.