Lyles Set for Major League Rehab Start with Tribe
INDIANAPOLIS - Today the Pittsburgh Pirates announced that right-handed pitcher Jordan Lyles will make a major league rehab start with the Indianapolis Indians for the road trip finale in Pawtucket. The 28-year-old will be the 14th player to appear for the Tribe on a rehab assignment this season.
Lyles is in his first season with the Pirates and got off to a fast start, going 5-3 with a 3.64 ERA (26er/64.1ip) and 66 strikeouts through a dozen starts. He picked up the ninth and 10th double-digit strikeout performances of his professional career, including a career-best 12 punchouts on May 17 at San Diego. He tossed just three innings in his most recent start on June 8 at Milwaukee before exiting early with left hamstring tightness. He was placed on the 10-day injured list on June 10 (retro to June 9) as a result.
The Hartsville, S.C. native signed a one-year major league deal with the Pirates on Dec. 17, 2018. He first broke into the big leagues in 2011 with Houston and played there through the 2013 campaign. He was then traded to Colorado with outfielder Brandon Barnes in exchange for outfielder Dexter Fowler. Lyles spent 3½ seasons with the Rockies before signing a minor league contract with the Padres in August 2017. One year later, Milwaukee claimed him off waivers from San Diego before he hit free agency this past offseason.
Indianapolis' MLB rehab assignments are presented by Franciscan Health.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Red Wings End Ohio Trip with 7-1 Loss Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- The Candy Man Can Lead the Mud Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bichette Has 4-Hit Day in Bisons' 8-1 Win over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Walked off After Erasing 7-0 Deficit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs' rally from down 7-0 cut short as Columbus wins 10-9 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Take Series in Pawtucket with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders top Durham Bulls as Logan Morrison ties franchise record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Allard, Duvall Lead Gwinnett over Syracuse 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indians Come Back to Take Series Finale from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Taijeron Homers in Mets 5-1 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-34) at Pawtucket Red Sox (31-42) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Lyles Set for Major League Rehab Start with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Major League Baseball Commissioner Delays Triple-A Season
- All-Time 25, Victory Field Era Roster: Nos. 9-6
- Baseball Veterans Paved the Way for Young Negro League Stars
- All-Time 25, Victory Field Era Roster: Nos. 13-10
- Indianapolis Indians Release 2021 Schedule