Allard, Duvall Lead Gwinnett over Syracuse 5-1
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Kolby Allard pitched 6.0 innings of one-run baseball to lift the Gwinnett Stripers (41-33) over the Syracuse Mets (36-39) 5-1 on Sunday afternoon at Coolray Field.
Scoring Recap: Adam Duvall (20) gave Gwinnett a 2-0 lead in the first inning with a two-run home run to left-center off Drew Gagnon. Syracuse cut the lead to 2-1 in the second on a solo home run from Travis Taijeron (15) off Allard. In the sixth, Travis Demeritte came in to pinch hit and lined a two-out, two-run single to right to put Gwinnett up 4-1. The Stripers added an insurance run in the seventh on an RBI single from Ryan LaMarre to make it 5-1.
Stripers Stats: Allard (W, 6-3) pitched 6.0 innings with one run on three hits and struck out five in his fourth straight quality start. Jonathan Aro and Rafael De Paula combined to throw 3.0 scoreless innings out of the bullpen. Duvall went 1-for-3 with a homer and two RBIs. LaMarre went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI. Demeritte went 1-for-1 with two RBIs. Jack Lopez went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
Mets Stats: Gagnon (L, 2-1) worked 4.0 innings and surrendered two runs on five hits. Taijeron finished 2-for-3 with a homer and one RBI.
Quote: "I was able to put together another complete outing today," Allard said. "I made some good pitches when it counted and was able to execute."
Postgame Notes: The Stripers are 15-3 in games when Duvall has homered this season. Rafael Ortega has tallied hits in 25 of his last 29 games since May 18. Lopez has produced six multi-hit efforts in his last seven games. Allard is 2-0 with a 2.53 ERA in five starts in June.
Next Game (Monday, June 24): Gwinnett at Norfolk, 7:05 p.m. at Harbor Park. RHP Patrick Weigel (0-1, 3.55 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Tom Eshelman (2-1, 2.68 ERA) for the Tides. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Red Wings End Ohio Trip with 7-1 Loss Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- The Candy Man Can Lead the Mud Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bichette Has 4-Hit Day in Bisons' 8-1 Win over Tides - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Walked off After Erasing 7-0 Deficit - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs' rally from down 7-0 cut short as Columbus wins 10-9 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indians Take Series in Pawtucket with 4-3 Comeback Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders top Durham Bulls as Logan Morrison ties franchise record - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Allard, Duvall Lead Gwinnett over Syracuse 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Indians Come Back to Take Series Finale from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Taijeron Homers in Mets 5-1 Loss to Stripers - Syracuse Mets
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (38-34) at Pawtucket Red Sox (31-42) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Norfolk (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Lyles Set for Major League Rehab Start with Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett
- Gwinnett Stripers to Debut "Thirsty Thursday" in 2020
- Gwinnett Stripers Accepting Grant Applications for 2020