Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties
OENIX - Phoenix Rising dropped out of the U.S. Open Cup following a loss to New Mexico United in penalties. New Mexico bested Rising FC 4-3 in penalties after both teams ended regulation and extra time deadlocked at 2-2
WHAT TO KNOW
Forward Adam Jahn scored his 6th goal across all competitions
Junior Flemmings scored his 5th goal across all competitions
Forward Junior Flemmings opened the evening's scoring when he calmly slotted his penalty kick past the diving keeper in the 65th minute. Defender Amadou Dia drew the penalty moments earlier.
New Mexico equalized in the 79th minute. Forward Devon Sandoval got his head to the end of a Josh Suggs diagonal cross and sent the ball into the far right side of the net to make it 1-1.
The score remained tied after regulation and the two clubs went into extra time. Sandoval found the back of the net for a second time, redirecting a Santi Moar ball into the box to beat the goalkeeper and go up 2-1. Moments later, in the 102nd minute, Rising forward Adam Jahn slipped through the defense off a ball from Flemmings and smashed a shot past the helpless keeper to make it 2-2.
Neither team found the back of the net in the second extra time frame, which sent the match into penalties. New Mexico advanced, outshooting Phoenix Rising, 4-3.
Phoenix Rising jumps back into USL Championship play on Saturday, May 18, against Las Vegas Lights. It's Military Appreciation Night presented by Mobile Mini with the first 2,000 fans getting PRFC camo bucket hats and the team wearing camo training tops. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. with gates opening at 6 p.m.
OENIX RISING FC 2 (3-4) 2 NEW MEXICO UNITED
X: 65', 7-Junior Flemmings (PK)
NM: 79', 9-Devon Sandoval (5-Josh Suggs)
NM: 95' 9-Devon Sandoval (11-Santi Moar)
X: 102', 9-Adam Jahn (20-Solomon Asante)
NM: 28', 16-Saalih Muhammad (caution)
NM: 54', 10-Kevaughn Frater (caution)
X: 80', 41-James Musa (caution)
NM: 90', 11-Santiago Moar (caution)
Starting XI: 1-Carl Woszczynski; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran, 15-Joey Farrell, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya; 41-James Musa, 19-Jose Aguinaga, 27-Kevon Lambert; 21-Joey Calistri (83', 20-Solomon Asante), 7-Junior Flemmings (72', 9-Adam Jahn), 10-Jon Bakero (97', 22-Ben Spencer)
Subs not used: 28-Zac Lubin, 16-Austin Ledbetter, 23-Devin Vega 32-Kyle Bjournethon
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Improves to 12-0-0 on $1 Beer Night in Front of Record Crowd
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Winning Streaks
- Rising Transfers Collin Fernandez to Saint Louis FC
- Forward Adam Jahn Named to USL Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Reaches Nine Wins in a Row After Shutting out Rio Grande Valley