Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence
SHVILLE - Riding a two-match winning streak, Nashville Soccer Club will play its fourth home match in the past two weeks on Saturday when it hosts Charlotte Independence at First Tennessee Park. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 PM. Tickets are still available here.
Nashville will look to close out the homestand in style before a pair of tough matches on the road next week.
How to Follow
Local TV: MyTV30
Local English Radio: ESPN 94.9 Game 2
Local Spanish Radio: El Jefe 96.7
Digital Stream: ESPN+
Last Time Out
Nashville defeated South Georgia Tormenta FC 2 in a Second Round match in the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday night at Hayes Stadium in Murfreesboro. Cameron Lancaster, Alan Winn and Ropapa Mensah all scored in the winning effort. Prior to that, Nashville trounced Swope Park Rangers 5-1 in league play on Saturday night. Daniel Ríos had two goals and an assist, while Winn scored his first goal of the season.
Charlotte Independence has been playing in the USL since 2015 and have made the playoffs twice in its history. Last season, the club finished 11th in the Eastern Conference, missing the playoffs for the first time since 2015. This season, the club has a mix of veteran and young players contributing on offense. 33-year-old Dominic Oduro leads the way with four goals in nine matches, while veteran Jorge Herrara and newcomer Andrew Gutman have also pitched in with two goals apiece.
The club has stumbled out of the gate this season, winning just one match through its first 10 league meetings. Charlotte comes to Nashville after losing to amateur qualifiers Florida Soccer Soldiers in the Second Round of the U.S. Open Cup. In addition, Charlotte has yet to win on the road this season, going 0-2-2 in four road matches.
Storylines to Watch
Nashville Scoring Party
Over the last two matches, Nashville SC has put on a scoring clinic. Against Swope Park Rangers, Nashville scored a club-record five goals on the night en route to the win. Nashville also scored three goals in the U.S. Open Cup win over South Georgia Tormenta FC 2. Those eight goals in two matches are the most Nashville has scored in a two-match stretch in club history. Daniel Ríos' two goals against Swope Park Rangers give him seven on the season, leading the team and tied for second in the USL Championship.
Home Stretch of the Homestand
Saturday night's match will cap off a four-match home stand across all competitions. Nashville started the home stand with a 1-0 loss to unbeaten Tampa Bay Rowdies, but followed it up with the win over Swope Park Rangers and the U.S. Open Cup victory over Tormenta FC 2. Nashville SC is currently 3-2-0 in league play at home this season. The Boys in Gold will look to secure three points before hitting the road next week to take on Birmingham Legion FC and Indy Eleven.
Forward Alan Winn has started the last two matches for Nashville SC and has proven to be a fantastic addition to the lineup. In his first start against Swope Park, he scored a goal in the first half to pad Nashville's lead to 3-0 at the time. In the Open Cup match against South Georgia, Winn had a first-half goal and a pair of assists in the 3-2 win. If Head Coach Gary Smith maintains a similar lineup this Saturday, Winn could be a factor again against Charlotte.
Belmar's Big Plays
Winger Kharlton Belmar has been stellar through the opening months of the 2019 season, and this weekend, he finally got some points to show for it. The former Sporting Kansas City winger scored his first goal and added his first assist of the 2019 season in the 5-1 win over Swope Park Rangers. In the first half, his cross to the near post found the head of Ríos for the goal, and in the second half, he scored on a one-on-one run against the keeper to pad Nashville's lead.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Takes Second In-State Derby 2-0 over Memphis 901
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC to Bring Pop-Up Pitch to Mill Creek Brewing Nolensville this Saturday
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC
- Nashville SC Looking to Start a Strong Run for the Second Half of the Season in Memphis