Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0
uisville City rolled to a 3-0 win over Reading United AC Wednesday night at Lynn Stadium in uisville, Ky. uisville City coach John Hackworth said his team got exactly what they hoped for in the Second Round U.S. Open Cup match.
"At the end of the day that is exactly what we wanted and needed," Hackworth said. "We had a lot of objectives going into this game and I think we accomplished all of them. You get guys like Chris Hubbard, their first start and performance. Huge shout out to him because he gets a shutout in his first appearance for us. More than that, it's great to see him back and healthy. He's had such a long road.
"You think about Rich (Ballard) coming back and getting on the field again and that gives us such a lift to have guys that have been out for a long time and injured, and they come back in and they contribute to a performance like that.
"Then other guys that haven't really played at all for us. Another guy would be Geoff Dee who represents and was a worry all night ling. Sunny (Jane) has been coming back from injury and hasn't played since the Atlanta game and he's got a great free kick at the end."
City got an early goal from Abdou Thiam, pushed the lead to 2-0 just seven minutes later on a great effort by George Davis IV. uisville City held its 2-0 lead throughout the rest of the first half, controlling the action. uCity's final goal came on a perfectly struck free kick from Jane.
uisville City used a different lineup for Wednesday night's game, getting Hubbard, Ballard, Jane, Dee and other players more playing time than they have received in a long time.
"We were also able to rest a lot of guys too," Hackworth said. "We had a lot of objectives going into this game and it's hard to look back and say we didn't accomplish all of them."
uisville City advanced to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup which will be played May 29 vs. Birmingham Legion FC. The match will be played at Lynn Stadium.
12' Abdou Thiam
19' George Davis
88' Sunny Jane
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.