Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup
A spot in the Fourth Round against a Major League Soccer club will be on the line in a battle of teams coached by US Men's National Team legends Eric Wynalda (Las Vegas) and Paul Caligiuri (O.C.). All tickets for the match are priced at only $10 with general admission seating, including being able to watch the game on the field pitch-side; special FREE "As Easy As ABC Clinic" offered to anyone that purchases a ticket (kids ages 5-12).
Fans in attendance at Cashman Field on May 29 will be able to watch the game on the field, having a unique pitch-side view of the action during Lights FC's US Open Cup match against Orange County FC.
The Lamar Hunt US Open Cup is the longest running soccer tournament in America and Lights FC wants to make history in its 106th edition. To continue their road in it they will have to go through Orange County FC in the third round, with the match to be played at Cashman Field on Wednesday, May 29 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are priced at only $10, all seating for this game will be general admission. Fans will be able to watch the game pitch-side, as field level will be open for them to go down and experience pro-soccer in a unique point of view. Tickets are available at LightsFC.com/OpenCup, at every La Bonita Supermarket in Las Vegas and at Cashman Field's box office on the day of the game.
Before the match, the second ever "As Easy as ABC Clinic" presented by ABC Hyundai will be held at Cashman Field. Kids ages 5-12 with a purchased ticket will have the opportunity to interact and learn from Lights FC players at no additional cost from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Kids ages 5-12 will be able to take part in the "As Easy As ABC Clinic" presented by ABC Hyundai, where they'll be coached by Lights FC players.
The 2-0 victory Lights FC had against Cal FC was an emotional one for Eric Wynalda, as he led his new team to the next phase of the US Open Cup against his old team, with who he made history in the 2012 edition of the tournament. Now, the next Cup game for Las Vegas brings even more ties to coach Wynalda's past.
Lights FC will face Orange County FC, team that is coached by Wynalda's former teammate with the US Men's National Team Paul Caligiuri. They both played together in two World Cups (1990 and 1994) and each has over 100 caps with the National Team.
"There's a lot of mutual respect that we have for each other as teammates and friends," said Lights FC manager Eric Wynalda. "It's unfortunate that I have to play against a friend. They have to come here and beat us, which is a tough task that I don't anticipate happening". 5 months ago, both Eric Wynalda and Paul Caligiuri were scouting players at Lights FC's annual open tryouts. Now they're slated to have their teams face each other in the third round of the US Open Cup.
Orange County FC from the NPSL shocked USL Championship side Orange County SC by eliminating them in the second round of the US Open Cup. After coming back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits in regulation, they defended their goal in extra time before winning in a penalty kick shootout 5-3 to advance to the next phase where they have a date with Las Vegas.
"They should be commended that they got past a very good OCSC team and they can now enjoy this ride," stated Wynalda. "This was a game where they showed some resolve. Parts of the game they had to defend and they did, the goalkeeper was very strong. At the end of the day, sometimes you can get outplayed and still win and that's what the Open Cup is all about."
The winner of this match will advance to the fourth round of the US Open Cup, where 21 MLS teams enter the tournament.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Lights FC & Nevada Donor Network Announce First-Ever Game Exclusively for Fans Who Are Registered Organ Donors
- Lights FC Battle to Exciting Draw with L.A. Galaxy II on Independence Day
- Match Preview vs. L.A. Galaxy II
- Christmas in July: Lights FC Celebrate Season Ticket Members All Month Long
- Lights FC Drops First Home Game in 9 Months against OKC Energy FC