Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup
e Battery defeated Greenville Triumph SC 2-1 Wednesday night in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Legacy Early College. It was the first meeting between the two sides since Greenville joined USL League One prior to the start of the 2019 season.
Greenville Triumph SC looked to extend their Open Cup run against the Battery after beating South Georgia Tormenta FC in the first round on May 8th. It was a promising start from the League One side as they controlled much of the first half play and created a number of chances including their opening goal in the 30th minute. Midfielder Omar Mohamed created a few yards of space in a one on one with Battery defender Kyle Nelson and forced Nelson into conceding a corner. Max Hemmings connected with the Aaron Walker cross and headed home the opening goal of the match.
e Battery ended the first half on a high, creating a few dangerous opportunities through forwards Zeiko Lewis and Nicque Daley. Daley showcased his power and speed down the left side, shrugging off a Greenville defender before slipping past another in the box. Daley looked to pick out a runner in the box with a low pass but instead missed the back post by mere inches to keep the Battery from leveling before half.
Coming out of halftime the Battery were on the backfoot once again struggling to keep Greenville from getting into dangerous areas. Trailing 1-0 with twenty minutes to play, head coach Mike Anhaeuser elected to bring on forward Ian Svantesson for Daley in the 70th minute. It was Svantessons first action back after suffering an ankle injury in the Battery's 3-1 loss to Bethlehem Steel FC on April 13th.
Svantesson made an immediate impact in attack for the Battery, challenging for loose balls and looking dangerous on crosses and corners. e breakthrough would come in the 79th minute as Svantesson battled for a ball in the box. e Greenville defense struggled to clear the danger and the ball found its way to Svantesson just a few yards out from goal. A quick snap shot was enough to beat Dallas Jaye and level the scoring.
Svantesson continued to work for a winner with extra time minutes away. He'd take his chance in the first minute of stoppage time latching on to a ball delivered down the right side from the Battery defensive half. Svantesson took a few touches into the box and hit a low powerful shot right at Jaye who couldn't control, and the ball deflected into the back of the net.
e win sees the Battery through to the third round of the Open Cup where they will take on USL Championship side Nashville SC on May 29th at Dean A. Hayes Track and Soccer Stadium at 8:30 EST. e match can be streamed live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Battery Enter Exciting New Era Under HCFC, Announce Relocation
- Battery's Season Ends with a 3-1 Loss to Nashville
- Charleston Ousts Ottawa in Penalty Shootout
- Battery Clinch Postseason Spot After Dominant Display
- Time Change: Charleston Battery V Bethlehem Steel FC