Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
MPHIS, Tennessee - Josh Morton was made for historic moments at AutoZone Park.
The Memphis 901 FC defender scored the first goal in the stadium's history back in September as a member of the Tulsa Roughnecks.
On Wednesday, Morton helped his new club record its first win at home behind the first brace (two goals in one match by a single player) in club history.
Memphis' 3-1 win over New York Red Bulls U-23 in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup will go down in the club's record books.
For Morton, he was just happy to be out there with his teammates.
"I was psyched for the game and wanted to make as much out of the game as I possibly could," Morton said. "Getting two goals wasn't bad."
Those two goals help Memphis grab and build on the lead following a lightning-delayed kickoff.
Memphis fell behind just five minutes into its Open Cup debut. But New York's lead was short-lived as Wednesday night's captain Cam Lindley tied the match up at 1-1 following an eighth-minute free kick.
In the 26th minute, No. 26 for Memphis was there to give the club the lead after a great assist from forward Lagos Kunga, who made his Memphis debut Wednesday night.
"I found myself up the field a little bit, which I'm not used to," Morton said. "But Lagos found himself in a good position and I just got a perfect pass from him for a great assist."
Memphis went into halftime up 2-1, but the club was far from over when it came to entertaining the crowd of 4,057 strong when it returned from the second half.
Memphis continued to make the most out of set pieces and the duo of Lindley and Morton again conjured up some Memphis magic on a corner kick, giving 901 FC a 3-1 lead after the 73rd minute.
After the final whistle, teammates briefly congratulated one another before the entire team made it way to thank those who mattered most.
"The fans have deserved this for the better part of two months," Memphis head coach Tim Mulqueen said after the match. "We had that in our mind, we knew it. It's something that we have talked about. We wanted to repay them.
"They stuck through a weather delay tonight as well. We wanted to give them something unique, which is an Open Cup win."
The fans at AutoZone Park will remember May 15, 2019 for many reasons.
Maybe it'll be for the club record of three goals scored in a single match. Maybe it'll be for the fashion in which they were scored in.
But the players and coaches will forever remember Wednesday night as a night dedicated to a dedicated fanbase.
Memphis is back in league play Saturday as the club takes on the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at 7:00 p.m. inside AutoZone Park.
Tickets for that match are on-sale now.
Call (901) 721-6000 or go to www.memphis901fc.com/tickets for more information on all ticket options.
For the latest information on Memphis 901 FC, visit www.memphis901fc.com and follow the club on social media on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Memphis 901 FC Starting XI
24 (GK) Scott Levene; 3 (D) Abdi Mohamed , 5 (D) Triston Hodge, 15 (D) Jacob Hauser-Ramsey, 26 (D) Josh Morton; 2 (M) Morgan Hackworth, 17 (M) Ewan Grandison , 11 (F) Lagos Kunga; 9 (F) Luca Uccello, 27 (M) Cam Lindley ©, 28 (F) Jochen Graf
Subs: 1 (GK) Jeff Caldwell, 19 (D) Louis Bennett II, 10 (M) Adam Najem, 20 (D) Todd Pratzner , 21 (F) Duane Muckette, 18 (F) Elliot Collier, 13 (F) Oliver White
Substitutions: 58' Elliot Collier on...Lagos Kunga off, 66' Duane Muckette on...Luca Uccello off, 78' Louis Bennett II on...Jochen Graf off
Goals: 8' Cameron Lindley - Right Foot - Outside the Box - Top Left Hand Corner, 26' Joshua Morton - Right Foot - Centre of the Box - Bottom Left Hand Corner, 73' Joshua Morton - Header - Very Close Range - Centre of the Goal - Assist: Cameron Lindley
New York Red Bulls U23 Starting XI
1 (GK) Marcelin Gohier, 34 (D) Kentaro Morrison, 17 (M) John Murphy, (19) F Brian Saramago, (23) M Barakatulla Sharifi, 31 (F) Omar Sowe, 3 (D) Chineye Uche, 22 (M) Ryan Mingachos, 16 (F) Jean Paul Marin, 32 (D) Jared Juleau, 2 (D) Zach Brown
Subs: (31) Sean Teixeria, (15) Vincent Borden, (5) Jeciel Cedeno, (9) Jonah Conway, (19) Skylar Conway, (11) Allen Gavilanes, (0) Sam Illin
Substitutions: 61' Skylar Conway on...Omar Sowe off, 66' Jonah Conway on...Kentaro Morrison off, 73' Allen Gavilanes on...Barry Sharifi on
Goals: 5' JP Marin - Right Foot - Right Side of the Box - Bottom Left Hand Corner - Assist: Brian Saramago
Images from this story
Memphis 901 FC defender Josh Morton
Memphis 901 FC captain Cam Lindley
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 16, 2019
- Lights FC to Take on Orange County FC in Lamar Hunt Us Open Cup - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Home Stand vs. Charleston Battery - Indy Eleven
- Match Preview vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looking to Continue Scoring Blitz against Charlotte Independence - Nashville SC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Battery Advance to the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Providence Park to Host Two Soft-Opening Matches Featuring T2 Prior to Official Relaunch - Portland Timbers 2
- Austin Bold FC Partners with IdealSeat - Austin Bold FC
- Nashville SC to Play Two Matches at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Drops New Checkered Flag Jerseys on Honda Racing Drivers Today at IMS - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Advance to Third Round of the 2019 U.S. Open Cup with 1-0 Win over Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties - Phoenix Rising FC
- Morton's Brace Helps Guide Memphis 901 FC to Historic Win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Come up Short against Forward Madison FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- STLFC Advances in Penalty Shootout to Third Round of US Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Open Cup, Second Round: LouCity 3, Reading United 0 - Louisville City FC
- Switchbacks FC Move on to Next Round of Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis 901 FC Stories
- Nearly 8,000 Strong Experience Memphis-Nashville Rivalry Wednesday Night at AutoZone Park
- Penny Hardaway to Smash Guitar at Tomorrow's Memphis-Nashville Match
- Saturday Night's Memphis 901 FC Away Match at Charleston Battery Postponed
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Charleston Tomorrow Night
- Memphis 901 FC Unveils Third Kit for Next Wednesday's "Defend Memphis" Match against Nashville SC