Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has signed Academy Product Jack de Vries to a professional contract, making the forward/midfielder the 12th Homegrown Player in Philadelphia Union history.
Born in Akron, Ohio and raised in both Brussels, Belgium and Virginia Beach, Virginia before moving to the Delaware Valley, de Vries' deal is for the Dutch-American to join the first team effective January 1, 2020.
"Completing the signing of an Academy Product to the first team is a momentous occasion for both the player and our club, and the same holds true with Jack finalizing his agreement today," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "He is an exciting attacking prospect who has appeared at the highest levels within his age group in the United States youth national team setup."
Continued Tanner: "Additionally, he is a very versatile player, capable of playing as an attacking midfielder or as a forward. He is ready for the leap to the professional game and we are pleased to have him officially join our first team next season."
PHOTOS: Please click here for photos of de Vries signing his Union contract. Please credit Philadelphia Union.
De Vries, Tanner and Union Head Coach Jim Curtin will be available to members of the media following tomorrow's Union training session at the Power Training Complex (2501 Seaport Drive, Chester PA 19013). De Vries and Tanner will be available fieldside following Union training (members of the media are encouraged to arrive by 11:15 a.m. ET), while Curtin holds his weekly press conference at 12:30 p.m. ET at Talen Energy Stadium's media room.
De Vries has appeared for Bethlehem Steel FC as an Academy player, playing in three games (two starts) this season. He made his debut for the team in Bethlehem's 2019 season opener at Birmingham on March 10, and would go on to start his first USL match vs. North Carolina FC in Steel FC's home opener one weekend later on March 16.
The attacker has been a frequent participant in the United States youth national team system, receiving four call-ups in 2019 alone from the Under-17s. Most recently, he was in a domestic training camp with the U-17s in Carson, California from July 27-August 7. He also participated in the 2019 Concacaf Under-17 Championship, helping the United States to a runner-up finish.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign forward/midfielder Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player on August 20, 2019, with the signing effective January 1, 2020.
Name: Jack de Vries
Hometown: Brussels, Belgium
Born: March 28, 2002 in Akron, Ohio
Citizenship: United States, Netherlands
Acquired: Philadelphia Union sign forward/midfielder Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player on August 20, 2019, with the signing effective January 1, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Chicago Fire Successfully Appeal Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan's Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Special Edition of "The Prematch Meeting LIVEâ? Set for Friday Night - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC to Host First Ever Interfaith Night on Wednesday, August 21 - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Begins Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday against San Jose Earthquakes - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: Rivalry Week - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Awards Expansion Team to St. Louis - MLS
- Sunday's #HellisReal game: Concession, merchandise specials announced - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Announce Happy Hour Pricing at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Opens Rivalry Week with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Highlights Fierce Foes, Biggest Stars - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Debut "Union Classic"
- Union earn a point in Los Angeles with three goals; Glesnes scores first MLS goal
- Three Philadelphia Union Players to Join CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Roster
- Glesnes debuts for Union; Homegrowns feature in season opener
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Kacper Przybylko to Contract Extension