Match Preview: New York Opens Rivalry Week with D.C. United
HARRISON, N.J. - On the road for two matches during Rivalry Week, presented by Heinken, the New York Red Bulls (11-10-5, 38 pts) begin their road trip at D.C. United (10-8-9, 39 pts) on Wednesday at Audi Field. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m. EST with coverage on UniMas, Univision Deportes and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 7 p.m. ET with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley.
For the first time this season and the 78th time in league history, New York and D.C. United will clash on Wednesday. The Red Bulls enter Wednesday's match with a 4-0-4 mark against D.C. in the last eight league meetings and 1-0-1 at Audi Field since it opened. Over the previous eight league meetings, New York has outscored D.C., 16-11 with three clean sheets and six multi-goal team performances.
New York bounced back from their 4-2 road loss at LAFC with a 1-1 draw against Eastern Conference foe New England. The Red Bulls have recorded 18 points out of the possible 30 points following a loss (5-2-3) this season. Six of the 10 matches following a loss have been multi-goal team performances.
Bradley Wright-Phillips, who came on for an injured Brian White in the 29th minute, saw extended minutes for the first time since April 20. Wright-Phillips logged 61 minutes and put two shots on frame against the Revolution. The English striker has been excellent against D.C. United, recording 10 goals in 15 league games, including four in the previous two.
New York wraps up Rivalry Week with a trip at New York City FC on Saturday at Yankee Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. EST with coverage on ESPN 2 and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Chicago Fire Successfully Appeal Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan's Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Special Edition of "The Prematch Meeting LIVEâ? Set for Friday Night - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC to Host First Ever Interfaith Night on Wednesday, August 21 - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Begins Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday against San Jose Earthquakes - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: Rivalry Week - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Awards Expansion Team to St. Louis - MLS
- Sunday's #HellisReal game: Concession, merchandise specials announced - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Announce Happy Hour Pricing at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Opens Rivalry Week with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Highlights Fierce Foes, Biggest Stars - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East