Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United
Atlanta brought two new players into central midfield since our last meeting in MLS on May 12th in Georgia. Emerson Hyndman was acquired on July 1st on loan from English side Bournemouth. Hyndman scored the second goal in the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals against City back on August 6th. Additionally, Mo Adams came via trade from Chicago on July 17th.
Josef Martinez has scored 21 goals in 23 appearances, the most in the Eastern Conference through this point in the season. Furthermore, he has scored in eleven straight MLS appearances.
Atlanta is 5-0-0 in their last five appearances including the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals in Orlando. The 2018 MLS Cup winners are currently sitting on 45 points and lead the Eastern Conference.
City and Atlanta have met seven times through the two and a half years both teams have been in the league together. United won five games and the other two results have been draws.
Rasmussen College Fun Fact
Atlanta has two former Lions on their squad. Justin Meram was acquired via trade back in May while Brek Shea will be unavailable due to an ACL injury. Shea was signed as a free agent back in December.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 20, 2019
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Chicago Fire Successfully Appeal Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan's Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Special Edition of "The Prematch Meeting LIVEâ? Set for Friday Night - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC to Host First Ever Interfaith Night on Wednesday, August 21 - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Begins Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday against San Jose Earthquakes - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: Rivalry Week - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Awards Expansion Team to St. Louis - MLS
- Sunday's #HellisReal game: Concession, merchandise specials announced - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Announce Happy Hour Pricing at Talen Energy Stadium - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Opens Rivalry Week with D.C. United - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Heineken Rivalry Week Highlights Fierce Foes, Biggest Stars - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.