Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Named MLS Player of the Week
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that midfielder Alejandro Bedoya was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 22 of the 2019 MLS regular season.
Bedoya's opening goal against D.C. United helped the Union to a crucial 5-1 road victory at Audi Field, re-taking first place in the Eastern Conference. Following his goal, Bedoya took a stand against gun violence into a nearby field microphone. He also spoke passionately about the issue in a postgame interview with media.
The third-minute goal was the earliest tally of the season for the Union, surpassing Marco Fabian's fourth-minute strike vs. Orlando on July 7. The goal also came as part of an impressive overall performance for Philadelphia, which set an all-time club record for most shots in a single road game (26, exceeding the 22 they had on 7/3/19 at Orlando) as well as in shots on goal (14, exceeding the previous record of nine, done five times previously, most recently in that same match at Orlando).
This is the first-ever MLS Player of the Week award for Bedoya, who joins a group of 11 different players in Union history to earn the recognition. The Union captain is the third different Philadelphia player to win MLS Player of the Week this season, joining David Accam (Week 4) and Ilsinho (Week 15). That total ties an all-time club record for most Player of the Week awards in a single campaign, with 2016, when Chris Pontius (Week 14), Roland Alberg (Week 16) and Ilsinho (Week 18) all won it.
The full list of Union POTW award winners is as follows: Sebastien Le Toux (2010 [2x]), Justin Mapp (2011), Jack McInerney (2013), Chris Pontius (2016), Roland Alberg (2016), Ilsinho (2016, 2019), CJ Sapong (2017), Borek Dockal (2018), Jay Simpson (2018), David Accam (2019) and Alejandro Bedoya (2019).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 5, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Waive DF Chris Duvall - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 5, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bull Arena to Host Sky Blue FC and Reign FC on August 18 - New York Red Bulls
- FIFA Women's World Cup Trophy Makes First Trip to Toyota Stadium for FC Dallas' Match vs Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Raise $15k for Gilroy Garlic Festival Victims Relief Fund - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Atlanta United in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce Stadium Suite Contest - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 6-10 - Chicago Fire
- LAFC and Latif Blessing Agree to New Multi-Year Contract - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Drops Hard-Fought Match with Sporting Kansas City in 3-2 Loss - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 5-1 victory on the road in D.C. - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Claims Enthralling 3-2 Road Victory over Seattle Sounders - Sporting Kansas City
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. Philadelphia Union - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC
- Philadelphia Union Unveil Kick Childhood Cancer Initiative
- Ribbon Cutting Officially Launches Primepoint Club at Talen Energy Stadium
- Philadelphia Union Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
- Union win 10th home match of the season