Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Voted MLS Player of the Week
August 5, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Philadelphia Union midfielder Alejandro Bedoya was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 22nd week of the 2019 MLS season.
Bedoya scored a goal in leading the Union to a dominant 5-1 victory over D.C. United at Audi Field on Sunday. On the season, Bedoya has registered three goals and three assists, the former tying his MLS single season best set in 2018. A FIFA World Cup veteran for the United States Men's National Team, Bedoya has played every minute of MLS regular season action for the Union this season. Philadelphia sits atop the Eastern Conference with 42 points (12-7-6 overall record).
The Union got off to a hot start when Bedoya gave the club an early lead in the third minute of the match. Bedoya received a pass from Marco Fabián and sent a shot through traffic from just outside the box, deflecting the ball off the left post past goalkeeper Bill Hamid to give Philadelphia a 1-0 lead. Bedoya would go on to register three shots total, two on goal, in helping the Union to a controlling victory.
Philadelphia returns to regular season action when hosting the Houston Dynamo at Talen Energy Stadium on Sunday, August 11 (6 p.m. ET, ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
Philadelphia Union midfielder Alejandro Bedoya
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 5, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Waive DF Chris Duvall - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 5, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bull Arena to Host Sky Blue FC and Reign FC on August 18 - New York Red Bulls
- FIFA Women's World Cup Trophy Makes First Trip to Toyota Stadium for FC Dallas' Match vs Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Raise $15k for Gilroy Garlic Festival Victims Relief Fund - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Atlanta United in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Alejandro Bedoya Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce Stadium Suite Contest - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update: August 6-10 - Chicago Fire
- LAFC and Latif Blessing Agree to New Multi-Year Contract - Los Angeles FC
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Drops Hard-Fought Match with Sporting Kansas City in 3-2 Loss - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 5-1 victory on the road in D.C. - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Claims Enthralling 3-2 Road Victory over Seattle Sounders - Sporting Kansas City
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. Philadelphia Union - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.