Penguins Sign Defenseman Christopher Merisier-Ortiz
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins announced today that they have signed defenseman Christopher Merisier-Ortiz to a two-year, American Hockey League contract set to start in the 2021-22 season.
Merisier-Ortiz played the past four seasons in the Québec Major Junior Hockey League. In 231 games, he racked up 129 points (20G-109A).
Last season, the 20-year-old blueliner posted 12 points, all assists, for the Baie-Comeau Drakkar before being traded to the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. With Blainville-Boisbriand, Merisier-Ortiz was a point-per-game player with four goals and 20 assists in 24 games.
Despite the mid-season trade, he still led all Drakkar defensemen with 12 assists and tied for the team lead for points among blueliners at the end of 2020-21.
A native of Boisbriand, Québec, Merisier-Ortiz spent three and a half seasons as a teammate of fellow Penguins prospect, Nathan Légaré. Légaré was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the third round (74th overall) of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft and will also become a first-year pro this upcoming season.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will open its 2021-22 slate at home against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Oct. 16. Puck drop is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Season tickets for the upcoming 2021-22 season are on sale now.Â Full-Season, 22-game, 12-game, Flexbook andÂ Premium SeatingÂ plans are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 17, 2021
- Abbotsford Canucks Sign Alex Kannok Leipert - Abbotsford Canucks
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Mason Shaw to a Two-Year, Two-Way Contract - Iowa Wild
- Monsters and Charge Host 'Back to School Bash' at Halloran Park - Cleveland Monsters
- Lead Architect of the Aud, Gil Seltzer, Passes Away at 106 - Utica Comets
- Wolves Broadcasts Return to My50 Chicago for 2021-22 Season - Chicago Wolves
- Thunderbirds Name Stu Bickel Assistant Coach - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Giovanni Vallati to Two-Way AHL/ECHL Deal - Cleveland Monsters
- Toronto Marlies Sign Defenceman Matt Hellickson - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Ink Four Players - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins Sign Defenseman Christopher Merisier-Ortiz - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Weekly
- D'Orio Returns to Pens, Nappier Reassigned to Nailers
- Pittsburgh Recalls Drew O'connor
- Penguins Stumble in Third Period, Lose to Bruins, 5-1
- Penguins' Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Checkers