Payton Ll Earns Triple-Double in Vipers Win against Sioux Falls
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (32-15) faced the Sioux Falls Skyforce (23-21) at home and earned a big win as seven players scored in the double digits. Gary Payton ll was on fire as he locked in the triple-double at Bert Ogden Arena, his second of the season.
A tightly contested first quarter of action at Bert Ogden Arena resulted in a 32-32 draw. Both teams paced to a good offensive start. Miami Heat two-way player Duncan Robinson was the workhorse on offense for the Skyforce as he racked up 16 points in the first period. The Vipers spread the ball around efficiently, but Diamond Stone was the standout as he tallied 11 points, two rebounds.
The same energy continued on the floor as both teams battled for the lead, but the Vipers found their rhythm and went up 71-59 at the half. Robinson continued to be the scoring leader for Sioux Falls, totaling 19 points, three rebounds, and three assists. Charles Cooke joined the conversation as he dropped 15 points before heading into the break for the Skyforce.
Houston Rockets two-way player Danuel House Jr. managed 10 points, five assists in the half. Over two quarters Payton ll was able to lock in 12 points, five rebounds and four assists to unbalance the Skyforce defense.
Sioux Falls put up 36 in the third quarter to outscore the Vipers for the first time tonight but was still unable to claim the lead as Rio Grande led 104-95 after three quarters of action. House Jr. had an impressive quarter as he worked his way to 25 total points on the night so far.
A high energy fourth quarter for Rio Grande catapulted them to a 133-120 win behind House Jr.'s 30 points, six assists. Stone ended the night with 19 points, six rebounds to help push the offense. Payton ll totaled 18 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists to lock in the triple-double performance. Rockets two-way Vincent Edwards tallied 15 points, 10 rebounds to give him the double-double on the night. Chris Walker totaled 12 points, seven rebounds, two assists.
For Sioux Falls, Emanuel Terry had a double-double as he scored 22 points, 17 rebounds in the loss. Robinson closed out his stat line with 23 points, six rebounds, seven assists which led all scorers for the Skyforce. Before exiting the game in the third, Jarett Jack racked up 21 points, five rebounds, six assists and one steal in his NBA G League debut.
The Vipers will face the Salt Lake City Stars on Tuesday, March 12 at Bert Ogden Arena. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (CST). In addition, the Vipers will host the local Girl Scouts for National Girl Scout day where they will be performing at halftime for Latin Night. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 9, 2019
- Blue Coats Fall to Drive Down the Stretch - Delaware Blue Coats
- Payton Ll Earns Triple-Double in Vipers Win against Sioux Falls - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Spurs Defeat Stockton Kings 128-104 - Austin Spurs
- Greensboro Narrowly Falls to Windy City - Greensboro Swarm
- Knicks Aim to Claim Third Victory over Maine Tomorrow - Westchester Knicks
- Drive End Road Trip with Comeback Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Windy City Sets Franchise Record in Wins, Beat Greensboro 113-107 - Windy City Bulls
- Newman Leads Charge Past Herd with Career Day - Canton Charge
- Texas Legends' Burrell and Hornsby Suspended - G League
- Hornsby Shines Bright in Salt Lake City - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Earn Third NBA G League Championship
- The Chase for Three Continues: Vipers Force a Winner Take All in the 2019 NBA G League Finals
- Vipers Fall Short to Nets in Game 1 of NBA G League Finals | April 7
- Houston Rockets Sign Guard Michael Frazier
- Hartenstein and Payton II Selected to All-NBA G Leauge Team, All-Defensive Team