Pats Drop 2022-23 Home Opener
Regina, Sask. - The Regina Pats dropped their 2022-23 home opener 5-4 to the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday at the Brandt Centre.
The Pats lost a 4-3 lead in the third period, as Moose Jaw's Lynden Lakovic tied the game at 10:14. Ben Riche's second of the night took the lead at 12:50, as the Warriors won game one of this home-and-home set.
Tye Spencer scored a pair of the goals, while Cole Dubinsky and Borya Valis netted the Pats other goals. Easton Armstrong and Layton Feist also chipped in with two assists each in the loss.
MJ 0-1 at 0:27 - Atley Calvert (1), assisted by Lucas Brenton // Seconds after the Pats hit the Warrior post, Brenton got the puck to Calvert who rifled one glove side past Koen MacInnes to give the Warriors the lead early in the second period.
REG 1-1 at 0:48 - Cole Dubinsky (1), assisted by Easton Armstrong // Just seconds after the Warriors opened the scoring, Armstrong won a battle for the puck and sent it to Dubinsky who spun and fired one past a startled Connor Ungar to tie the game up at one.
REG 2-1 at 7:30 - Tye Spencer (1), assisted by Layton Feist and Easton Armstrong // Spencer tipped a Feist point shot past a well-screened Ungar to give the Pats their first lead of the 2022-23 season at 2-1.
MJ 2-2 at 8:07 - Hosh Hoekstra (1), assisted by Harper Lolacher and Thomas Tien// Hoekstra got behind the Pats defence and was able to tuck a backhander past an outstretched MacInnes to tie up the game at 2-2 a mere 37 seconds after the Pats took their first lead of the game.
REG 3-2 at 12:46 - Tye Spencer (2), assisted by Parker Berge and Zane Rowan // Berge went for a skate into the Warriors zone and fed a nice backhand pass to the front of the net where Spencer chipping it past Ungar to restore the Pats lead at 3-2.
MJ 3-3 at 18:55 - Ben Riche (1), assisted by Atley Calvert and Brayden Yager // Riche entered the Pats zone with speed down the left wing and fired a wrist shot past MacInnes to tie the game up at 3-3 entering the second intermission.
REG 4-3 at 8:22 - Borya Valis (1), assisted by Tanner Howe and Layton Feist // Fresh off a Pats 5-on-3 penalty-kill, Howe and Valis exited the penalty box, broke in on a two-on-one where Valis received a nice pass from Howe and made no mistake to restore the Pats lead at 4-3.
MJ 4-4 at 10:14 - Lynden Lakovic (1), assisted by Lucas Brenton and Josh Hoekstra // Lakovic stole the puck from an off-balance Pats defender and broke in on MacInnes, and beat the Pats goalie high to the blocker-side.
MJ 4-5 at 12:50 - Ben Riche (2), assisted by Tate Schofer and Thomas Tien // Riche scored his second of the night with a laser that beat MacInnes high to give the Warriors the lead.
SOG: REG - 14-16-7-37 | MJ - 4-9-7-20
PP: REG - 0/4 | MJ - 1/5
Face-Offs: REG - 35 | MJ - 32
Regina: Koen MacInnes (20 shots/15 saves)
Moose Jaw: Connor Ungar (37 shots/33 saves)
First: Ben Riche (2G) - Moose Jaw
Second: Tye Spencer (2G) - Regina
Third: Atley Calvert (1G-1A) - Moose Jaw
Spencer's two goals tonight marked his first career WHL two goal effort.
The Pats lost the lead three times tonight.
Fall to 2-4-1 in season openers since 2016-17 and 3-3-1 over their last seven home openers.
The Pats finish their opening weekend home-and-home when they visit Moose Jaw to play the Warriors Saturday night at 7:00PM before they travel to Alberta for a mini three-game stretch (Edmonton, Red Deer, and Calgary). The Pats' next home action is Friday, October 7 at 7:00PM when they host the Winnipeg ICE at the Brandt Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 24, 2022
- GAME Preview: Wheat Kings Open Regular Season Versus Ice - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Winterhawks Weekly: September 26 - October 2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Reassign Donavan Bodnar to MJHL - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Hub: September 24 at Kelowna - Portland Winterhawks
- Warriors and Mosaic Partner on Goals for Food Program - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Get Season off to Hot Start with 7-5 Win over Victoria - Spokane Chiefs
- Hurricanes Name 2022-2023 Leadership Group - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Game Preview: Cougars vs Americans (Game #2) - Prince George Cougars
- Americans Look to Rebound in PG - Tri-City Americans
- Chiefs Look to Carry Momentum into Saturday's Rematch against Victoria - Spokane Chiefs
- Pats Head to the Moose Jaw Events Centre Saturday - Regina Pats
- Game Day Preview - September 24 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Stumble in Opening Night Loss - Tri-City Americans
- Hitmen Win First Regular Season Game - Calgary Hitmen
- Chiefs Get Season Off To Hot Start With 7-5 Win Over Victoria - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Fall in Season Opener to Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Hawks Blank Blazers for Season-Opening Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Drop 2022-23 Home Opener - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Fall to Red Deer in Home Opener - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Highlights: September 23, 2022 - Swift Current Broncos
- Cougars Collect Win Number One in Season Opener vs. Tri-City - Prince George Cougars
- Spokane Spoils Season Opener with 7-5 Win over Victoria - Victoria Royals
- Hawks Blank Blazers 3-0 in Season Opener - Portland Winterhawks
- Warriors Open Season with Comeback Win in Regina - Moose Jaw Warriors
- T-Birds Begin with Road Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.