Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - A three-run seventh inning propelled the Evansville Otters to a 6-5 victory over the Florence Freedom on Sunday afternoon at Bosse Field in front of 879 fans.
The win gave the Otters the series victory, as Evansville took three out of four against Florence over the weekend.
Travis Harrison got the Otters on the board with an RBI double in the first.
Ryan Long swatted a solo home run in the third, his eleventh home run of the year, to put the Otters ahead 2-0.
Florence scored their first run of the game in the fifth when Keivan Berges singled home a run.
Evansville got that run back in the sixth on a Jeff Gardner RBI double to put the Otters ahead 3-1.
The Otters broke the game open with three runs in the seventh. J.J Gould led off the frame with a double and was brought home on a David Cronin single. After Long was hit by a pitch, Austin Bush chopped a ball over the head of the first baseman to score Cronin from second. Gardner capped off the inning with a sacrifice fly to make it 6-1 Evansville.
Florence got within one run in the ninth thanks to a Berges grand slam, but Alex Phillips came on and struck out the final two hitters to earn his third save of the year and secure the 6-5 victory for the Otters.
Austin Nicely gets the win for Evansville, his sixth of the year. Nicely went five innings, allowing one run on six hits while walking four and striking out three.
Mike Castellani absorbs the loss for the Freedom. Castellani worked three innings, giving up two runs on four hits while striking out one and walking one.
Following an off day for the Otters, the club finishes their six-game homestand with a midweek series against the Normal Cornbelters. Tuesday, August 14 is a $2 Tuesday with $2 popcorn and $2 General Admission tickets presented by 14 WFIE, and Thursday, August 16 is another Thirsty Thursday with special-price select beers and drafts.
Coverage of the series with the CornBelters can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek(play-by-play) and Bill McKeon(analyst) on the call.
Fans can also follow Otters social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for game updates.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Encina Dominates, Miners Come Back to Sweep Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Roar Back for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Drop Finale 13-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Limited to One Hit in Another Shutout Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout in Finale at Lake Erie - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Split Twin Bill with Otters - Florence Freedom
- Bats Explode Early as Miners Top Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Evansville Otters Stories
- Otters Seek Host Families for 25th Anniversary Season
- Otters Bring Back Cable, Beardsley, Cullen and Gould
- Otters Announce Additions to Front Office Staff for 2019 Season
- Otters Sign Seeburger, Wood; Acquire Browne
- 2019 Frontier League Tryout and Draft Set for April 23-24