Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win
WASHINGTON, PA - The ThunderBolts scored at least one run in seven of nine innings and ran away with a 13-2 victory in the finale against the Washington Wild Things at Wild Things Park Sunday night.
The scoring started in the first inning as Tim Zier singled and advanced to third on an error. Axel Johnson singled him home. They added two more runs in the third when Johnson picked up another RBI single and Derek Bangert doubled him in. RBI hits for Omar Obregon and Tim Zier made it 5-0 in the top of the fourth.
Washington (44-34) tightened the game in the bottom of the fourth inning, putting two men on base before a two-out single from Brett Marr made the score 5-2.
That was as close as the Wild Things would get as the ThunderBolts (33-46) kept piling on. Larry Balkwill hit a solo home run in the fifth and Matt Brown came up with his first career homer, a two-run shot, later in the inning.
Brown made the score 9-2 with an RBI triple in the sixth and the Bolts put the game away for good with a three-run seventh. Balkwill was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Bangert hit his third double of the game to bring home two more runs.
A Larry Balkwill RBI single in the ninth wrapped up the scoring.
Balkwill, Johnson and Omar Obregon each finished the game with four hits as the Bolts pounded out 20 for the game.
Jake Welch (6-4) allowed two runs over six innings for the win and Chase Cunningham, who entered with a 1.38 ERA in eight career starts against the ThunderBolts, allowed five runs in four innings for the loss.
The ThunderBolts take Monday off before continuing their six-game road trip on Tuesday against the Schaumburg Boomers. Braulio Torres-Perez (2-3, 3.67) starts the opener of the three-game series for the Bolts against Schaumburg's Kit Fowler (0-6, 5.82). First pith from Boomers Stadium is scheduled for 6:30 and the radio broadcast can be heard on WXAV 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Encina Dominates, Miners Come Back to Sweep Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Roar Back for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Drop Finale 13-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Limited to One Hit in Another Shutout Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout in Finale at Lake Erie - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Split Twin Bill with Otters - Florence Freedom
- Bats Explode Early as Miners Top Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Windy City ThunderBolts, Village of Crestwood, and Ozinga Announce New Stadium Naming Rights
- ThunderBolts Hire Brian Smith as New Field Manager
- Windy City ThunderBolts Unveil Logo for 20th Anniversary in Crestwood and Frontier League
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City