Rascals Roar Back for Series Win
NORMAL, IL - The River City Rascals won their second straight game on Sunday night, taking the series finale over the Normal CornBelters 5-2 to win the series 2-1. The win concluded the Rascals' nine-game road trip.
Mike Jurgella put the Rascals on the board with a solo shot to begin the second inning. Ransom LaLonde then gave the 2-0 with a lead-off homer in the third. Normal's Andrew Godbold tied the game with a two-run double in the bottom of the third.
With the game tied at two in the fifth, and runners at second and third for the CornBelters and one out, Justin Fletcher hit a fly ball to Zach Lavy in right for the second out. Godbold, who was at third, started to tag, but a laser throw from Lavy sent him hightailing back to third. With Sean Hurley caught between second and third, Rascals catcher Mike Jurgella threw to LaLonde at second, who was able to apply the tag for the third out before Godbold could score.
Braxton Martinez then put the Rascals in front with a solo blast in the seventh, and the Rascals added two insurance runs in the eighth, on back-to-back doubles from JD Hearn and Trevor Achenbach, and a run-scoring single from Jurgella.
Rascals starter Hector Hernandez (9-5) earned the win, allowing just two runs over six innings, walking five and striking out five. Relievers Chris Chigas, Joe Iorio and Cody Mincey combined for three hitless innings to close out the game, with Mincey recording his 19th save in the process.
Belters starter Zack Kirby took a no-decision, allowing two runs in five innings, walking one and striking out seven. Reliever Thomas Nicoll (1-1) took the loss, allowing Martinez's go-ahead homer.
The Rascals (40-39) are off Monday, and take on the Southern Illinois Miners on Tuesday for the start of a three-game set and eight-game homestand at CarShield Field. First pitch for the opener against the Miners is set for 6:35 pm CT, and Jonny Ortiz is expected to start for the Rascals.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Encina Dominates, Miners Come Back to Sweep Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Roar Back for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Drop Finale 13-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Limited to One Hit in Another Shutout Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout in Finale at Lake Erie - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Split Twin Bill with Otters - Florence Freedom
- Bats Explode Early as Miners Top Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.