Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies took a first-inning lead on Audie Afenir's RBI single Sunday night, but allowed an unearned run in the sixth and a three-run double in the eighth to lose, 4-1, to the Southern Illinois Miners at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (33-47) lost its sixth straight game.
Nolan Earley smacked a grounder down the first-base line past a diving Trae Santos to clear the bases in the eighth inning and put the Miners (39-36) on top for good.
Gateway has lost all six games against Southern Illinois this season; the Grizzlies will visit the Miners at Rent One Park for a three-game series starting Friday before hosting them at GCS Credit Union Ballpark again to conclude the season over Labor Day Weekend.
Alec Kisena was fantastic in his second start of the week: He threw seven innings and allowed only one unearned run on two hits. Kisena struck out four and did not factor in the decision.
Patrick Boyle (2-3) took the loss in relief.
Justin Ellison led the Grizzlies with three hits, including a double, to push his hitting streak to seven games. Ellison has an extra-base hit in six of those seven contests.Shane Mardirosian had two hits, a stolen base - his ninth - and a run scored. Audie Afenir added two hits of his own.
Miners starter Geno Encina tied a franchise record with 14 strikeouts over eight innings of one-run ball.
Gateway is off Monday and Tuesday before opening a two-game series Wednesday against the Florence Freedom at home.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Encina Dominates, Miners Come Back to Sweep Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Roar Back for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Drop Finale 13-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Limited to One Hit in Another Shutout Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout in Finale at Lake Erie - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Split Twin Bill with Otters - Florence Freedom
- Bats Explode Early as Miners Top Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.