Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win
AVON, OHIO. - The Lake Erie Crushers, presented by Mercy, got another great pitching performance from Alex Romero and a timely home run from Dane Hutcheon to beat Traverse City 3-0 on Sunday afternoon.
After throwing a complete game shutout his last time out, Romero (8-6) picked up right where he left off. The right-hander struck out five batters in the first two innings for the Crushers.
The Lake Erie offense was held in check for the majority of the game as well. The only runs came in the third inning against Beach Bums starter Kenneth Knudsen (5-2).
The Crushers drew consecutive walks to begin the inning before Doug Trimble reached on a fielder's choice. Later with two outs in the inning, Knudsen got behind in the count to Hutcheon and the Crushers all-star, hit a three-run home run to give the Crushers a 3-0 lead. That was his third home run of the season.
Knudsen ended up going five innings while allowing the three runs on just two hits. He also walked and struck out three batters.
On the other side, Romero kept dealing for Lake Erie. He worked his way out of a bases loaded jam in the third and stranded two runners in the fourth inning. Romero finished with six innings while striking out a season-high 11 batters. He allowed just four hits.
The Crushers bullpen took over from there and Louis Cohen delivered a scoreless seventh. Kent Hasler pitched the final two innings and struck out three to earn his second save of the year. Lake Erie now has six different pitchers that have recorded at least one save.
Lake Erie only manufactured three hits in the game but the pitching staff only allowed one unearned run over the last 18 innings of the series.
With the win the Crushers improved to 42-36 while Traverse City fell to 34-43 with the loss. Lake Erie also clinched the season series by winning seven of the 12 meetings with the Beach Bums. The Crushers are 6-3 in their last nine games.
Next week the Crushers welcome in the Joliet Slammers for a important three game series. First pitch on Tuesday is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Encina Dominates, Miners Come Back to Sweep Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Roar Back for Series Win - River City Rascals
- Grizzlies Slide Continues with 4-1 Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things Drop Finale 13-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Bolts Salvage Finale in Washington with Big Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Otters Stave off Late Freedom Surge to Take Series - Evansville Otters
- Pitching Leads the Way in Crushers Win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Limited to One Hit in Another Shutout Defeat - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Shutout in Finale at Lake Erie - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Freedom Split Twin Bill with Otters - Florence Freedom
- Bats Explode Early as Miners Top Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake Erie Crushers Stories
- Lake Erie Evens Key Series
- Late rally sends Lake Erie to fourth straight loss
- Home Woes Continue
- Crushers Announce Playoff Pass Availability
- Crushers Fall Flat in Game Two