Oilers to Sport Nickname on Saturday
Tulsa, OK - The Tulsa Oilers, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's St. Louis Blues, announced Wednesday that the team will be playing as the Tulsa Oil Capitals for "Nickname Night" on Saturday, Feb. 15.
The Oilers are participating in the ECHL's Nickname Month this February, taking the ice as the Tulsa Oil Capitals for one night. The team will wear special jerseys for the game with a new logo and color scheme. In addition, the jerseys will have each player's nickname on the name bar in place of their last name. The Oil Capitals' jerseys will be auctioned off in the ONEOK Club after the game.
The name Oil Capitals pays tribute to Tulsa's moniker of "Oil Capital of the World". The nickname was first used in the early 1900s after large oil strikes in Red Fork and Glenpool, both of which rest in Tulsa County. The formation of the International Petroleum Exposition and Congress in 1923 cemented Tulsa's legacy as the "Oil Capital of the World".
The team will have Oil Capitals merchandise available at the game, and starting Wednesday, fans can participate in a social media contest on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to guess the players' individual nicknames for a chance to win various prizes.
The Oil Capitals will be playing the Wichita Thunder in their lone appearance on Feb. 15 at the BOK Center. Oil Capital native and Oklahoma Lt. Governor Matt Pinnell will drop the puck for the 7:05 p.m. game, and tickets can still be purchased by calling 918-632-7825.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 12, 2020
- Kalamazoo Earns a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 12 - ECHL
- Shortridge Outstanding in 1-0 Loss to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Rush Blank Allen Behind Defiel and Madsen - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Bring in Vandergunst, Schartz - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers to Sport Nickname on Saturday - Tulsa Oilers
- Mariners Add Defenseman Dallas Rossiter - Maine Mariners
- Royals Name Alvarez Business Development Executive - Reading Royals
- Weis Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Growlers to Collect Underwear to Celebrate Winning Streak - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Lose in Series Finale against Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Grizz Score 4 Unanswered to Win 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Third Straight with 2-1 Victory over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.