Oil Kings Tie Game in Final Minute, But Fall to Warriors in OT
It was a back-and-forth affair complete with an exciting, last-minute game-tying goal, but in the end things didn't end the way the Oil Kings had hoped on Wednesday night.
Jadon Joseph scored the game winning goal at 2:49 of overtime as the Moose Jaw Warriors (5-1-0-0) defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings (5-1-3-0), 4-3, in front of 2,613 fans at Mosaic Place.
There were plenty of positive take-aways for the Oil Kings, however, as they wrap up their eastern road trip having earned at least a single point in all five games (3-0-2-0).
Matthew Robertson - fresh off of putting pen to paper on his three-year, entry level contract with the New York Rangers this week - tallied his first of the season and joined Riley Sawchuk atop the scoresheet with a goal and an assist for the Oil Kings.
Liam Keeler was the other goal scorer for Edmonton, who head home with eight of a possible ten points on the nine-day road trip.
Todd Scott (3-1-3-0) took the loss in goal for the Oil Kings, stopping 24 of 28 shots.
Bailey Brkin (5-1-0-0) claimed the win, allowing three goals on 36 Oil Kings shots.
The Warriors took a 1-0 lead early, as they were able to jam away at a loose puck in the Oil Kings crease at 1:42 of the first period.
But in the closing minutes of the opening frame the Oil Kings tied the game, as Sawchuk buried his fourth of the season, from Robertson and Jacson Alexander at 16:16, to round out scoring in the first period.
Shots on goal after 20 minutes favoured Edmonton, 6-4.
In the second, a blast from the blue line made its way through traffic to give Robertson his first of the season, assisted by Jake Neighbours and Sawchuk on the power play at 3:30.
Just over five minutes later the home team responded, as Moose Jaw tied the game, 2-2, at 8:35.
Towards the end of the frame with a power play opportunity of their own, the Warriors caught the Oil Kings out of position in the defensive zone and reclaimed the lead, 3-2, at 17:35 on Matthew Benson's first career WHL goal to close out scoring in the middle frame.
Moose Jaw took control of the shot clock in the second, outshooting Edmonton 11-8.
The third period played out as scoreless for more than 19 minutes, but not for a lack of trying on the part of the Oil Kings, as they held Moose Jaw to just a single shot on goal through more than three quarters of the period. Finally, after the Oil Kings pulled Scott in favour of an extra attacker they tied the game, 3-3, with just 41 seconds remaining to send the game to overtime with assists to Scott Atkinson and Wyatt McLeod.
Shots on goal in the third registered 18-3, Oil Kings.
In overtime, momentum unfortunately didn't follow through for the Oil Kings as the 3-on-3 frame was controlled heavily by the Warriors. Edmonton managed to get a quality opportunity about half-way through, but the game ended on the stick of Joseph at 2:49.
Final shots read 36-28, Oil Kings, which included a 3-1 margin in favour of the Warriors in overtime.
Moose Jaw was 1-for-2 on the power play while Edmonton went 1-for-3 with the man advantage.
Bailey Brkin (MJ) (3), Owen Hardy (MJ) (2), and Matthew Benson (MJ) (1) were selected as the Three Stars of the Game.
Wyatt McLeod, Matthew Robertson and Conner McDonald each wore an "A" and skated as alternate captains to Scott Atkinson.
The Oil Kings return home for their next game when they host the Calgary Hitmen on Saturday, October 12 at 7:00 PM MT at Rogers Place.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships, Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets are available for every Edmonton Oil Kings game this season. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20. Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit OilKings.ca for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2019
- Americans Finalize 2019-20 Leadership Group - Tri-City Americans
- Tips Open Five-Game Homestand Friday, Continue with Pink the Rink on Saturday - Everett Silvertips
- Newest Rebels Forward Has Impressive Pedigree - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets look to get back in the win column this weekend - Kelowna Rockets
- Mark Kastelic Returns as Captain for 2019-20 Season - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Schedule, Ticketing Information for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Berezowski Goal Lifts Tips Late - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Beat out Giants on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Strike in Overtime against Oil Kings - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Royals Edged by Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Broncos Drop 8-2 Decision to Portland - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Tie Game in Final Minute, But Fall to Warriors in OT - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Vancouver Giants Edged 2-1 by Blades Wednesday in Saskatoon - Vancouver Giants
- Winning Wednesday: Hawks Quadruple up the Broncos - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Guenther Named to Team Canada for 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
- Cossa, Souch Help Oil Kings Gobble up Another Win at Rogers Place
- A Clutch Night for Souch Who Buries First WHL Hat Trick in Win over Hitmen
- Oil Kings Tie Game in Final Minute, But Fall to Warriors in OT
- Three Oil Kings Prospects Named to Rosters for 2019 WHL Cup