Blades Beat out Giants on Winning Wednesday
Saskatoon, SK - The Saskatoon Blades have emerged victorious on home ice for the first time this season, defeating the Vancouver Giants 2 goals to 1.
The low scoring affair was tense and physical as both netminders, Nolan Maier for the home side and Trent Miner for the visitors, respectively stopped 30 and 29 shots-faced.
On a power play, Chase Wouters opened the scoring 1 minute and 18 seconds into the game as Nolan Kneen set up a Scott Walford point-shot which was deflected into the back of the net by Wouters.
The score remained 1-0 Saskatoon until the 9th minute of the 3rd period when Vancouver equalized through Dylan Plouffe who, left unchecked, was able to walk in from the wing with time to spare and pick a perfect shot.
The Blades responded soon after through their second power play goal of the evening. Tristen Robins worked the puck to Kyle Crnkovic in the slot where he found Kneen on the wing. Collecting Crnkovic's pass off of his skate, Kneen steadied and shot home truly the goal that would stand as the game winning tally.
All fans in attendance were able to receive a free ticket for the Blades' Saturday night game as part of this season's Winning Wednesdays promotion.
Saskatoon will now travel to face the Wheat Kings in Brandon on Friday night before quickly returning home for Country Harvest Night against the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Saturday 7pm at SaskTel Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2019
- Americans Finalize 2019-20 Leadership Group - Tri-City Americans
- Tips Open Five-Game Homestand Friday, Continue with Pink the Rink on Saturday - Everett Silvertips
- Newest Rebels Forward Has Impressive Pedigree - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets look to get back in the win column this weekend - Kelowna Rockets
- Mark Kastelic Returns as Captain for 2019-20 Season - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Schedule, Ticketing Information for 2019 WHL Cup - WHL
- Berezowski Goal Lifts Tips Late - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Beat out Giants on Winning Wednesday - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Strike in Overtime against Oil Kings - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Royals Edged by Silvertips - Victoria Royals
- Broncos Drop 8-2 Decision to Portland - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Tie Game in Final Minute, But Fall to Warriors in OT - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Vancouver Giants Edged 2-1 by Blades Wednesday in Saskatoon - Vancouver Giants
- Winning Wednesday: Hawks Quadruple up the Broncos - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.