North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC
CARY, N.C. - North Carolina FC began the Dave Sarachan era with a commanding 4-1 victory over two-time defending USL Cup Champions Louisville City FC. The team began a new era as they played in front of an electric crowd at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park. Marios Lomis opened the scoring followed by tallies from Donovan Ewolo, Tommy McCabe and Robbie Kristo with the latter two recording goals in their NCFC debut.
"It was the first game of a long season," said head coach, Dave Sarachan. "We can't just rest on this, but obviously it was a terrific start against what I would still consider a great team in Louisville."
NCFC started the match with not only a new coach in Sarahcan but also four new faces in the starting lineup. Two of these players, Alex Comsia and Sam Brotherton anchored the back line that only allowed one goal during the match.
The scoring kicked off in the 34th minute when Ewolo sent in a ball to Lomis who trapped it with his left foot, took three touches with his right foot, and blasted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Lomis had another chance four minutes later, this time with a ball from Steven Miller, but the Dutchman barely headed left of goal.
The team entered the locker room at halftime with the 1-0 lead, and then came out attacking quickly in the second half. Miller started off an offensive attack in the 50th minute with a high arching ball that found the head of Ben Speas. The header bounced off the goal post before Tommy McCabe came flying into the box to finish the loose ball for a goal.
McCabe was excited to score in his first game with the North Carolina Football Club. "I haven't scored in a while, so it was good to score in my debut. It was a great team win against a great opponent, so that's the perfect way to start the season."
NCFC kept up the momentum with a third goal just three minutes later. Austin da Luz played a ball wide to DJ Taylor who dribbled it to the end line before crossing it back to Ewolo who one-touched it into the net.
Lomis nearly had his second goal of the game after blasting a shot off the top crossbar in the 73rd. The offensive attacks did not stop there though, as NCFC pressured Louisville's goalkeeper, Tim Dobrowski, the entire second half.
Kristo entered the game in the 75th minute, making his debut for the club. It only took him eight minutes before he made his impact on the game. Speas sent a long ball that Kristo received at midfield before racing a Louisville City FC defender one-on-one down the field and chipping the ball over Dobrowski.
Louisville City FC midfielder Sunny Jane scored the team's only goal in added time denying Alex Tambakis a clean sheet. He put a low driving shot past the Greek goalkeeper, shortly before the final whistle blew.
North Carolina FC will travel to Pennsylvania for their first away game of the season against Bethlehem Steel FC on Saturday, March 16 at 7 p.m.
The win was the first time in club history that NCFC scored four goals in their home opener.
Sam Brotherton, Alex Comsia, Tommy McCabe and Ben Speas made their debut for the North Carolina Football Club in the match.
Comsia and McCabe made their professional debut.
NCFC Youth standout Manny Perez made his professional debut coming on as a substitute in the 72nd minute.
Robbie Kristo made his NCFC debut entering the game in the 75th minute and marked his NCFC debut with an 83rd minute goal.
Lomis recorded his first goal of the season and sixth since joining the North Carolina Football Club since joining the team in 2018.
McCabe recorded his first professional goal.
Ewolo scored his eighth goal as a member of NCFC and his first of the season. He also had his first assist of 2019 and his second in a NCFC uniform.
Taylor's assist was the first for the NCFC Youth product since joining the team.
NCFC (4-2-3-1): Alex Tambakis; Aaron Guillen, Sam Brotherton, Alex Comsia, DJ Taylor; Donovan Ewolo (Manny Perez, 72'), Tommy McCabe, Steven Miller; Austin da Luz ©, Ben Speas (Dre Fortune, 84'); Marios Lomis (Robert Kristo, 75')
Subs not used: Nic Platter, Dubal Wapiwo, Victor Ibekoyi, Yamikami Chester
LOU (4-3-3): Tim Dobrowolski; Sean Totsch (Lucky Mkosana, 57'), Paco Craig, Alexis Souahy, Oscar Jimenez; Paolo DelPiccolo ©, Speedy Williams, Niall McCabe; Brian Ownby, Luke Spencer (Magnus Rasmussen, 77'), George Davis IV (Sunny Jane, 57')
Subs not used: Benjamin Lundt, Shawn Francis, Taylor Peay
NCFC: Marios Lomis (Donovan Ewolo, 34'), Tommy McCabe (unassisted, 50'), Donovan Ewolo (DJ Taylor, 53'), Robert Kristo (Ben Speas ,83')
LOU: Sunny Jane (unassisted, 90+')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park to Host 2019 NWSL Championship
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers
- North Carolina FC Returns Home Saturday to Face Swope Park Rangers
- North Carolina FC Exits Open Cup with Loss at New York City FC
- North Carolina FC Travels to Face New York City FC in Open Cup