Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season
RENO, Nev. - The 90-minute mark proved to be the determining factor in Reno 1868 FC's season opener against Orange County SC on Saturday.
Both teams held their ground in the first 45 minutes and went into the second half at zeroes. The match quickly picked up in the 63rd minute with a left-footed goal by forward Brian Brown and assisted by Lindo Mfeka. Just five minutes later, it was Mfeka who put one in the back of the net and Reno was up 2-0.
In the 78th minute, Orange County answered with a goal by Michael Seaton. For the next 12 minutes, Reno maintained possession and seemed to have the win secured, until a stoppage time penalty kick by Aodhan Quinn tied up the game before the final whistle.
"That was one of those games where, and this is the problem with soccer, you can dominate a game and still giveaway points" head coach Ian Russell said. "I thought we were in complete control of the game, especially when we went up 2-0. We had a couple of bad errors and ended with a tie."
The goal for Brown was his 21st overall with the club, adding to his run as Reno 188 FC's leading goal scorer of all-time.
"The first half I was beating myself up for not finishing, so coming out the second half I told myself I need to get a goal...at least one," Brown said. "I had a great ball from Lindo, and it was good to get on the score sheets."
The match also marked midfielder Sam Gleadle's first start for Reno 1868 FC in a regular season match. Gleadle had two shots and made a direct impact on the club's play.
"Starting him was one of those situations where he either steps up or he doesn't," head coach Ian Russell said. "Sam, he stepped up."
Reno hosts USL Championship newcomer Austin Bold FC next Saturday, March 16 at 1:45 p.m. and will also hold a St. Patrick's Day Celebration at the stadium. For ticket info, visit Reno1868FC.com or the Greater Nevada Field ticket office.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (18) JT Marcinkowski, D (5) Zach Carroll ©, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (16) Brent Richards,
D (11) Duke Lacroix, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (40) Raul Mendiola, F (9) Danny Musovski, F (99) Brian Brown
GK (25) Damion Lewis, D (15) Yosimar Hernandez, M (20) Mark Hernandez, M (8) Will Seymore, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, F (21) Corey Hertzog
Substitutions: 71' Corey Hertzog on...Danny Musovski off
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Sandoval finds the net for the first time in NM United history as the team earns its first ever point - New Mexico United
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - FC Tulsa
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.