2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United
Saturday, March 9th
Isotopes Park | 6:30 p.m. PT
TV: CW 59 | STREAM: ESPN + | RADIO: NONE
FRESNO FC MATCH NOTES
NEW MEXICO MATCH NOTES
Social Media: Follow @FFCFoxes on Twitter for match updates and follow along using the hashtags #TULvFRS
Head Coach Adam Smith and the 2019 Fresno Foxes aim to open the USL Championship in strong fashion when they visit New Mexico United tonight, Saturday, March 9th at Isotopes Park. After posting a 9W-13L-12D record in 2018 that includes just two victories away from home, the Foxes hope to make gains and achieve their first postseason berth in franchise history after an 11th-place finish in the USL Western Conference. The club returns its three top scorers in Juan Caffa (9 goals), Jemal Johnson (9) and Christian Chaney (8), while also adding the firepower and support of Jaime Chavez, Qudus Lawal and Arun Basuljevic over the offseason. That should help boost the club's offensive attack even further as it was sixth-best in the entire USL in shots taken with 507. Since the departures of Pedro Ribeiro and Rony Argueta, Fresno's midfield will transform under Basuljevic, Seth Moses, Jorge Escamilla, Hiroki Kurimoto and Emir Alihodzic. Defensively, the Foxes retained an entire back line that compiled eight clean sheets in Alex Cooper, Zachary Ellis-Hayden, Mickey Daly and Ramon Del Campo, along with CJ Cochran who returns to Fresno full time after a monthlong loan in June 2018.
Following an unbeaten preseason that saw the Foxes go 6-0, including a 2-1 win against LA Galaxy II, all that is checked at the door Saturday evening at Isotopes Park against a new, but experienced New Mexico squad that features seasoned midfielder Josh Suggs, goalkeeper Cody Mizell and 2017 USL Rookie of the Year Chris Wehan.
The Foxes will play their home opener on March 23 against Reno 1868 FC. Tickets for the full 2019 Season and single games are available now at 559-320-2525 or by visiting FresnoFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Sandoval finds the net for the first time in NM United history as the team earns its first ever point - New Mexico United
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview
- Fresno FL Issues Statement in Response to Comments Made by City of Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and Councilmember Miguel Arias
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso
- Zorros Fall 2-1 at San Antonio