Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class
PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC announced its inaugural Hall of Fame class today at a season ticket holder 20th anniversary kickoff event.
The members of the Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame inaugural class include former players Justin Evans and David Flavius, in addition to founder and former owner Paul Heasley, first-ever Vice President and General Manager Dave Kasper and first-ever head coach John Kowalski.
Evans, a native of Peters Township, played a total of six seasons (1999-01, 03, 08-09) with the club. Over the course of his Hounds career, the midfielder totaled 101 games played, 14 goals and 22 assists. The two-time All-League selection is one of four players in team history to have recorded at least 100 appearances and 50 points.
As a forward, Flavius is the club-record holder in numerous statistics, including games played (183), goals (58) and assists (25). He is the only player to have recorded at least 100 points (141) in club history. Like Evans, Flavius also was a two-time All-League selection over the course of his eight-season Pittsburgh career.
Founding the team on March 11, 1998, Heasley constructed and formed the foundation of Pittsburgh's very own outdoor professional soccer team. Under his and Kasper's leadership, Belle Vernon and Bridgeville natives, respectively, the Hounds won their first-ever playoff game in team history and were awarded USL A-League Organization of the Year honors during their inaugural season in 1999.
During this inaugural 1999 season, Kowalski served as the team's field general and coached its high-scoring attack to 63 regular season goals, which still stands as the club single-season record today. He served as the Hounds' head coach for two seasons (1999-00).
In addition to its Hall of Fame announcement, the club disclosed that a new turf-playing surface would be installed at Highmark Stadium. This installation is scheduled to be completed prior to Riverhounds SC's home opener on April 13.
The team also unveiled its 2019 kits, featuring a brand-new white jersey and a special patch to pay homage to its 20th anniversary season.
Prior to the season ticket holder event, Riverhounds SC revealed its team beer, Session Copper Ale, which will be sold at Highmark Stadium, Full Pint Brewery in North Versailles and Full Pint Wild Side Pub in Lawrenceville.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Sandoval finds the net for the first time in NM United history as the team earns its first ever point - New Mexico United
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.