ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 won its season opener 2-0 against USL Championship expansion team Hartford Athletic Saturday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. Jon Gallagher and Brandon Vazquez each scored while eight players made their team debuts.
"I am really happy. The lads worked really hard and had some great performances too," ATL UTD 2 head coach Stephen Glass said. "The team had great quality on the ball and worked great off of it. They looked like they wanted to fight and win the game, so I am really happy with the group."
After a fast start which saw attempts on target from Vazquez, Dion Pereira and George Bello inside the first half hour, Atlanta broke through in the 30th minute. Gallagher dribbled past a defender on the right wing and charged toward the 18-yard-box from the right side. The Irishman laid the ball off to Vazquez and ran into the penalty area looking for a return pass. Vazquez quickly took a shot which deflected off a Hartford defender. Gallagher continued his run as the ball fell to him, one-on-one with the goalkeeper where he buried a right-footed shot to put Atlanta up 1-0.
After taking five shots in the first half, Vazquez scored a well-earned goal in the 80th minute. Anderson Asiedu lead a break towards goal and played Vazquez down the left side. The forward dribbled into the 18-yard-box, deked a defender to create space and curled a shot into the upper-right corner to put the match away. Vazquez took a game-high eight shots and put three on target.
George Campbell was named Man of the Match in his professional debut. The 17-year-old center back completed a game-high 73 passes and recorded two tackles. He highlighted his night in the 64th minute when Hartford's Sebastian Dalgaard was in on goal and Campbell chased down the midfielder with a sliding block to deny his shot out of play for a corner, which was ultimately cleared.
Atlanta presented a starting lineup which saw five players make their team debut including goalkeeper Brendan Moore, defenders Campbell and Florentin Pogba and midfielders Pereira and Asiedu. It was also Asiedu's professional debut. Will Vint, a 17-year-old midfielder from Atlanta United's Academy, came on in the second half to make his first professional appearance.
ATL UTD 2 (1-0-0, 3 points) returns to action Friday, March 15 against Louisville City FC at 7:30 p.m. EST at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 2, Hartford 0
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 17-15 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-6 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 4-7 Hartford
Fouls committed: 8-7 Atlanta
Saves: 6-6 Tied
Offside: 0-4 Hartford
Possession: 58-42 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 85-74 Atlanta
ATL - Jon Gallagher 30' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Brandon Vazquez (Anderson Asiedu) 80' [HIGHLIGHT]
HAR - Tyler David (yellow) 72'
ATL - Jackson Conway (yellow) 90+1'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Brendan Moore; George Campbell, Tyler Ruthven, Florentin Pogba (Luiz Fernando - 71'); George Bello (Guillermo Benitez - 67'), Jon Gallagher (Will Vint 55'), Anderson Asiedu, Jack Metcalf ©; Jackson Conway, Dion Pereira, Brandon Vazquez.
Substitutes not used: Dylan Castanheira, Alessandro Castro, Jose Hernandez, Patrick Okonkwo.
HARTFORD ATHETIC STARTING LINEUP
Jacob Lissek; Sam de Wit, Nikolaj Lyngo, Tyler David, Raymond Lee; Wojciech Wojcik (Ryan Williams - 59'), Mads Jorgensen, Philip Rasmussen; Hugh Alexander Dixon (Giuseppe Gentile - 45'), José Angulo (Mac Steeves - 76'), Sebastian Dalgaard.
Substitutes not used: Michael Downs, Jonathan Brown, Michael Novotny, Scott DeVoss.
Gustavo Solorio (referee), Brian Marshall (assistant), Kevin Huet (assistant), Christopher Heintzman (fourth).
Academy players George Campbell and Will Vint made their professional debuts
Anderson Asiedu made his professional debut
Florentin Pogba, Dion Pereira, Brendan Moore, Guillermo Benitez and Luiz Fernando made their club debuts
Jon Gallagher scored his first goal of the season
Brandon Vazquez scored his first goal of the season
Asiedu registered his first professional assist
Moore kept a clean sheet and saved six shots
ATL UTD 2 is undefeated in season openers, 2-0-0 all-time
ABOUT ATL UTD 2
ATL UTD 2 is owned and operated by AMB Sports & Entertainment and is the United Soccer League (USL) affiliate of Major League Soccer's Atlanta United. ATL UTD 2 joined USL for its expansion 2018 season and plays its 2019 home matches at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw, Georgia.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Sandoval finds the net for the first time in NM United history as the team earns its first ever point - New Mexico United
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - FC Tulsa
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.