San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (0-0-1) tied Phoenix Rising FC (0-0-1) 3-3 at Toyota Field in their first match of the 2019 USL Championship season on Saturday night. Goals from forward Ever Guzman, midfielder Billy Forbes, and a Phoenix own goal earned the club a point in front of a sellout crowd of 8,058.
"Tonight was very positive from our guys," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "As a group, our players should take a lot of positives from tonight's performance, and as we continue to improve I think we're going to see some good soccer from these players."
SAFC opened the scoring just nine minutes in when midfielder Lance Laing played a low cross into the box and found Guzman, who slotted it in to score his first of the season and 16th overall for the club, adding to his all-time leading scoring record. The assist marked Laing's seventh overall since joining the club in late August last season.
Phoenix then equalized in the 22nd minute after forward Junior Flemings found the end of a cross and drove it in from close-range past SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone. SAFC re-gained the lead in the 40th minute after Forbes dribbled into space and buried a shot from the top of the box to make it 2-1.
The goal marks Forbes' 11th goal overall for the club after joining the team for his second stint since the 2017 season, while midfielder Pecka recorded his second assist since joining the team prior to the 2017 campaign as well.
The visitors equalized again just three minutes later after finding the end of a cross in the SAFC box, leveling the score just before the halftime break.
SAFC took the lead yet again in the 80th minute after Jahn scored an own goal following a corner kick from Jack Barmby to make it 3-2, however Phoenix found a stoppage-time equalizer through former SAFC forward Jason Johnson in the 93rd minute.
The night's attendance marks the fifth-highest in franchise history for San Antonio FC. The club will return to USL action as they host Portland Timbers 2 at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 16 at Toyota Field.
SAFC: 1-0, Ever Guzman (Lance Laing assist) 9'
PRFC: 1-1, Junior Flemmings (Solomon Asante) 22'
SAFC: 2-1, Billy Forbes (Pecka assist) 40'
PRFC: 2-2, Adam Jahn (Junior Flemmings assist) 42'
SAFC: 3-2, Own Goal (Adam Jahn) 80'
PRFC: 3-3, Jason Johnson (Kevon Lambert) 90'
PRFC: Yellow Card (Kevon Lambert 33')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Kai Greene 59')
PRFC: Yellow Card (Adam Jahn 61')
PRFC: Yellow Card (Junior Flemmings 75')
PRFC: Yellow Card (Doueugui Mala 78')
PRFC: Yellow Card (Mustapha Dumbuya) 82'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Joshua Yaro, Amer Didic, Eby Ackon; M: Pecka (c), Billy Forbes, Cristian Parano (Michael Lahoud 85'), Jack Barmby, Lance Laing; F: Ever Guzman (Bradford Jamieson IV 69')
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Pascal Eboussi, Johnny Fenwick, Leeroy Maguraushe, Walter Restrepo
San Antonio FC earned a draw with Phoenix Rising FC in the club's 2019 home opener...SAFC is now 2-0-2 all-time in home openers and 2-1-1 all-time in their first contest of a USL Championship season
San Antonio FC improves to 4-2-2 against Phoenix Rising all-time and 3-0-2 against the Arizona side in San Antonio
For the fourth consecutive season, SAFC earned a sellout at Toyota Field in the club's home opener...the attendance of 8,058 is the fifth-highest attendance in San Antonio FC history and the most since 9/23/17 vs. RGV FC when the club drew 8,125 fans
SAFC forward Ever Guzman scored his first goal of the season and his 16th of his SAFC career...Guzman's 16 goals continue to top the all-time charts for San Antonio FC players
San Antonio FC midfielder Billy Forbes scored his 11th all-time goal for the club and first of the season...Forbes returned to SAFC following his time with the Phoenix Rising during the 2018 season...Forbes' 11 goals for the club tie Rafa Castillo for the second most all-time
SAFC midfielders Lance Laing and Pecka collected their first assists of the season against Phoenix...Pecka's tally gives him two all-time in SAFC colors while Laing has now recorded seven for the club and has the most for SAFC since the start of the 2018 season
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 9, 2019
- Lancaster, Rios Open Accounts as Nashville SC Wins Season Opener - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-3 Draw in Front of Sellout Crowd at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Battles Back for 3-3 Draw in San Antonio - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Wins 2-0 in Season Opener against Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Roughnecks Open 2019 with Draw vs. Portland - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Battery Draw to Fury on Season Opener - Charleston Battery
- Sold-Out Crowd Welcomes Pro Soccer to AutoZone Park Saturday Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Fury FC Secures Its First Point of the 2019 Campaign in 1-1 Draw - Ottawa Fury FC
- Fresno FC at New Mexico United Match Preview - Fresno FC
- Reno Draws in Second Half Thriller to Start 2019 Season - Reno 1868 FC
- North Carolina FC Ushers in New Era with Commanding 4-1 Win over Louisville City FC - North Carolina FC
- Five Inducted into Inaugural Riverhounds SC Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Comes Back to Win 2-1 over Indy Eleven - Saint Louis FC
- Hounds Complete Preseason Action - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC Acquires Defender Abdi Mohamed on Loan from New York City FC - Memphis 901 FC
- 2019 USL Championship Season Opener: Fresno FC vs. New Mexico United - Fresno FC
- Tacoma Defiance Records 1-0 Victory in Season Opener - Tacoma Defiance
- RGV FC Falls in Season Opener to Tacoma - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face OKC Energy FC
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Jose Gallegos Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- San Antonio FC Rallies at Home to Defeat Reno 1868 FC 3-2
- San Antonio FC Hosts Reno 1868 FC at Toyota Field