New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 CONCACAF Champions League
NEW YORK, N.Y. - New York City FC will travel to Orlando, Florida on Tuesday morning, December 15, prior to the Club's Concacaf Champions League quarterfinal match against Tigres UANL later that evening.
The Club was originally scheduled to depart for Florida on Sunday, December 13, but due to three players testing positive for COVID-19 during routine testing last week, the decision was made by NYCFC and Concacaf to adjust to same day travel out of an abundance of caution.
Following the original confirmed positive test, all players and staff underwent daily Rapid Point of Care (RPOC) testing and PCR testing which revealed two other positive tests.
The last positive test was returned on Friday and all other First Team players and staff have returned negative tests since then.
A fourth player has continued to test negative, but is deemed a close contact and will not travel to Orlando with the rest of the team.
Traveling roster and departure schedule is pending results of RPOC and PCR testing taking place today.
Should NYCFC progress to the semifinals, the team will remain in Orlando to isolate and conduct further testing under Concacaf protocol.
Additionally, NYCFC has acquired Orlando City SC goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar on loan for the remainder of the season. Stajduhar will join NYCFC at Exploria Stadium and be on the matchday roster for NYCFC.
NYCFC Sporting Director, David Lee, said: "2020 has brought forth a tremendous number of challenges, and every team across the league has needed to adapt very quickly to unique scenarios. Unfortunately, our goalkeeper pool has been greatly affected throughout the past week due to COVID protocols. I'd like to thank both Mason and Orlando City EVP of Soccer Operations, Luiz Muzzi, for being extremely accommodating to our need and helping us navigate this unprecedented scenario."
NYCFC take on Tigres UANL in the quarterfinal of the Concacaf Champions League on Tuesday, December 15 at Exploria Stadium in Orlando. NYCFC trail Tigres 1-0 on aggregate after the first leg. The game will be broadcast live on FS2 and TUDN at 10:30 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: December 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Announces Roster Decisions to Conclude 2020 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 22 Players Protected in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City Goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar Loaned to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 CONCACAF Champions League - New York City FC
- Eligible Player Lists Revealed as Austin FC to Select up to Five Players this Tuesday in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Inter Miami CF Announces Protected List for 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Announces Protected Players List Ahead of 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Nashville SC
- Colorado Rapids Release List of Protected Players Ahead of 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Players List Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Announces Its 12 Protected Players Ahead of Tuesday's 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Announce Protected Player List Ahead of 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Announce Protected List for 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Union
- Impact Protects 12 Players for the Expansion Draft - Club de Foot Montreal
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Announce Protected Player List for 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Announces Protected List for 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- Five Returning Veterans Will Provide Consistency, Leadership for Young Players - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Season - Colorado Rapids
- Core of 2020 MLS Cup-Winning Columbus Crew SC Roster to Return in 2021 - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution Re-Sign John Oliveira as Club's eMLS Competitor - New England Revolution
- Willie Nelson to Perform at Toyota Stadium for 2021 National Soccer Hall of Fame Postgame Concert - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Allocation Money from Crew SC in Exchange for Keeper Evan Bush - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Former eMLS Cup Champion Kid M3mito - Chicago Fire
- Gordon "Fiddle" Thornsberry re-signs for 2021 eMLS season - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade with Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- New York City FC Announce Preseason for 2021 Season
- New York City FC Acquires Defender Malte Amundsen from Danish Club Vejle BK
- New York City FC Acquires Up to $600,000 General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati for Ronald Matarrita
- New York City FCÂ AcquiresÂ Up to $1.25M in General Allocation MoneyÂ from Austin FC ForÂ Alex Ring
- New York City FC Announces Travel Plans for the Resumption of 2020 CONCACAF Champions League