Nazmi Albadawi Makes 150th Appearance in NCFC Match against Memphis 901 FC
Cary, NC - NCFC captain Nazmi Albadawi made his 150th appearance for North Carolina FC (formerly Carolina RailHawks) in tonight's loss against Memphis 901 FC. Robert Kristo and DJ Taylor scored goals in the match before Memphis netted a goal in the eighth minute of extra time to earn all three points.
"It's an honor to have 150 appearances with the club," said Albadawi. "Obviously, it's hard coming off the loss, but I think everyone knows how much I care for the club every time I go out on the field. I hope to have many more appearances for the club."
Hadji Barry had NCFC's first chance on goal in the third minute of the game when the forward had just the goalie to beat. Trying to lift the ball over the reach of Jimmy Hague, Barry's shot went just over the net. Manny Perez had another great chance in the 28th minute when Barry slipped a through ball past the Memphis defense. Hague left his line to make a save as he dove at Perez's feet.
In the 31st minute, Rafa Mentzingen had Memphis 901 FC's first good chance on goal and took advantage of the opportunity. The Brazilian shimmied his way around the NCFC defense and was able to find a hole for a clean shot.
North Carolina FC took six shots compared to Memphis 901 FC's two shots but entered halftime scoreless.
NCFC came out firing in the second half with Dre Fortune getting a good look on goal in the 46th minute. Barry cut a ball back on the end line and played it back to Fortune who had to rush a shot. The ball went curving just above the net.
Steven Miller had what seemed to be the perfect opportunity in the 54th minute when Perez sent a hard-crossed ball across the box towards the back post. Miller was able to connect with the cross but had too much pace on his touch as the ball went wide of the net.
When NCFC seemed to be knocking on the door, Memphis was able to score on a counter-attack in the 75th minute. Matt Hundley was able to score as Memphis901's offensive players outnumbered the NCFC defense.
Roberto Kristo brought some life to NCFC in the 86th minute with a headed goal on a corner kick. Ben Speas sent a curling corner ball towards the goal line that 6'4" Kristo was able to connect with and send it into the back of the net.
DJ Taylor tied it up in the 91st minute when he headed the ball down under the goalie's reach to score his first goal of the season. Conor Donovan had the assist on the game's equalizer in added time.
In the eighth minute of added time, Memphis 901 FC's Hundley struck again, scoring the game-winning goal.
Up Next: North Carolina FC and Memphis 901 FC play again on Sunday, September 13 at WakeMed Soccer Park at 6 p.m. The match with air on ESPN+.
Nazmi Albadawi appeared in his 150th match with the club. The midfielder played in the NCFC Youth Academy, NCFC U-23 team, and attended NC State University before joining the senior squad in 2014.
Former NCFC Youth Academy player DJ Taylor scored his first goal of 2020 in the 91st minute. Conor Donovan, another NCFC Youth Academy product, assisted the goal.
Robert Kristo scored his second goal of 2020 on a Ben Speas corner kick.
NC (4-5-1): Alex Tambakis; Alex Comsia, Conor Donovan, DJ Taylor, Akeem Ward; Manny Perez, Pecka (Ben Speas, 70'), Dre Fortune, Nazmi Albadawi ©, Steven Miller (Marios Lomis, 63'); Hadji Barry (Robert Kristo, 76')
Subs Not Used: Sam Brotherton, Malik Mbaye, Graham Smith, Paulo Pita
MEM (4-4-2): Jimmy Hague; Marc Burch ©, Liam Doyle, Zach Carroll, Rece Buckmaster; Tommy McCabe, Jean-Christophe Koffi (Leston Paul, 53'), Jose Baxter (Duane Muckette, 53'), Rafa Metzingen (Matt Hundley, 71'); Keanu Marsh-Brown (Raul Gonzalez, 64'), Brandon Allen (Cal Jennings, 53')
Subs Not Used: Jim Barkei, Michael Reed
NC: Robert Kristo (Ben Speas, 86'), DJ Taylor (Conor Donovan, 90')
MEM: Rafa Mentzingen (Unassisted, 31'), Matt Hundley (Unassisted, 75'), Matt Hundley (Unassisted, 90')
NC: Pecka (45'), Dre Fortune (64'), DJ Taylor (90')
MEM: Jose Baxter (36'), Leston Paul (55'), Cal Jennings (89')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 10, 2020
- Matt Hundley Scores in Stoppage Time to Give Memphis the Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nazmi Albadawi Makes 150th Appearance in NCFC Match against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results, September 10, 2020 - USL
- Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale CF to Host Orlando City B - USL
- Forward JJ Williams Rejoins Legion FC on Loan for Remainder of Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- September 11 Match Preview - CHSvTBR - Charleston Battery
- Reno Heads to Sacramento with Chance to Clinch a Spot in Playoffs - Reno 1868 FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Schedule Updates - Philadelphia Union II
- Three Takeaways from #SACvOC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Fall to Republic FC - Orange County SC
- Phoenix's Flemmings Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity, SeatGeek Expand Ticketing Partnership - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic and Cigna Announce Virtual Yoga & Mindfulness Session - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence Launches Season Deposit & Priority Seat Selection Plan for All-New American Legion Memorial Stadium in 2021 - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Announces Intent to Join USL Academy League - Miami FC
- Short-Handed Sacramento Republic FC Rally over Orange County SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Defeated 3-0 on the Road at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- LA Galaxy II Suffer 3-0 Setback vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs Dominate Switchbacks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- SD Loyal Attack Explodes with 3-0 Win against Host LA Galaxy II - San Diego Loyal
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result to Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members