Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale CF to Host Orlando City B
September 10, 2020 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
Fort Lauderdale CF will return to action at Inter Miami CF Stadium this Saturday, Sept. 12, at 8 p.m. ET. The team will face Orlando City B in a rematch of an Aug. 14 matchup in Orlando that resulted in a 1-1 draw. The match will air live on ESPN+.
"It'll be interesting again because it's a team that we weren't quite sure what their shape would look like when we went [to Orlando]. They played in a certain tactical shape and now they're playing in a different one. So, it's going to be another night where I think tactically our guys are going to have to figure out a little bit on the fly," said manager Jason Kreis. "Orlando has shown some good stuff, similar to us. They're using a lot of younger academy players and they've got moments when they've been really bright and moments when it hasn't been so great."
Fort Lauderdale CF is coming off of a hard-fought 1-1 draw with Chattanooga Red Wolves SC at Inter Miami CF Stadium on Sept. 5. Fort Lauderdale took the lead through a cross from Sami Guediri that deflected off a defender and found the back of the net in the 26th minute, but Chattanooga was able to equalize before halftime.
The match also saw Venezuelan defender / midfielder Christian Makoun, who was loaned to the team from Inter Miami CF, debut for Fort Lauderdale. He was joined by goalkeeper Andre Zuluaga, an Inter Miami CF Academy registered player, in making a first outing for Fort Lauderdale CF as members of the starting XI. The match also saw 18-year-old Academy graduate Ian Fray put in a strong performance completing 84 of 101 passes, winning 8 of 8 duels and making seven recoveries and two interceptions, earning him USL League One Team of the Week honors.
The team's first matchup against Orlando City B took place on Aug. 14 at Osceola Heritage Park in Orlando, Fla. That match resulted in a 1-1 draw in a closely-contested affair that was interrupted by a lengthy weather delay in the first half. Orlando took the lead in the 22nd minute, but Fort Lauderdale was able to strike back with a 39th minute goal by Ricky Lopez-Espin that proved to be the point-winning tally for the visitors
Orlando City B currently sits 10th in the USL League One table, having accumulated a record of one win, three draws and four losses thus far. The team's most recent match saw them fall to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Union Omaha.
The team has been led by 16-year-old Puerto Rican forward Wilfredo Rivera and 19-year-old Venezuelan midfielder Moises Tablante in 2020. Rivera has registered two goals and one assist while Tablante leads the team with three assists in eight matches.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 10, 2020
- Matt Hundley Scores in Stoppage Time to Give Memphis the Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nazmi Albadawi Makes 150th Appearance in NCFC Match against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results, September 10, 2020 - USL
- Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale CF to Host Orlando City B - USL
- Forward JJ Williams Rejoins Legion FC on Loan for Remainder of Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- September 11 Match Preview - CHSvTBR - Charleston Battery
- Reno Heads to Sacramento with Chance to Clinch a Spot in Playoffs - Reno 1868 FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Schedule Updates - Philadelphia Union II
- Three Takeaways from #SACvOC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Fall to Republic FC - Orange County SC
- Phoenix's Flemmings Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity, SeatGeek Expand Ticketing Partnership - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic and Cigna Announce Virtual Yoga & Mindfulness Session - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence Launches Season Deposit & Priority Seat Selection Plan for All-New American Legion Memorial Stadium in 2021 - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Announces Intent to Join USL Academy League - Miami FC
- Short-Handed Sacramento Republic FC Rally over Orange County SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Defeated 3-0 on the Road at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- LA Galaxy II Suffer 3-0 Setback vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs Dominate Switchbacks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- SD Loyal Attack Explodes with 3-0 Win against Host LA Galaxy II - San Diego Loyal
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result to Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.