Reno Heads to Sacramento with Chance to Clinch a Spot in Playoffs
After a historic 7-1 win over Portland last weekend, Reno heads to Sacramento to take on Republic FC in a game with massive playoff implications for Group A. Reno can secure a spot in the playoffs with a win, which would mark the club's fourth straight trip to the postseason.
"They've beaten us twice," said head coach Ian Russell. "So I think that's good motivation for our guys. I think the last time we played them was a game we should've won. The first one was a very sloppy game that they probably deserved to win. Either of those games could've gone either way. I think we deserve a win."
Reno and Sacramento enter the game atop the standings for Group A, each with 24 points. Reno has the tiebreakers with one more win, and a higher goal differential, as well as a game in hand on Republic FC.
Both teams enter on a roll, with Sacramento winning their last six games and Reno winning the last four.
Despite owning a 5-3-1 record against Sacramento all time, Reno is 0-2-0 against Republic this season. Both losses have come by way of 1-0 scores, with both Sacramento goals coming on penalties.
In Reno's eight games against opponents other than Sacramento, the team averages 3.4 goals per game.
Los Azules have a number of players catching fire individually, including forwards Foster Langsdorf and Corey Hertzog. Hertzog has scored in each of the last two games games, assisted in the last three and scored or assisted in four straight. Langsdorf has scored in four straight.
In the midfield, winger Tucker Bone is coming into his own as well. Bone has started each of the last eight games, with Reno going 7-1-0 in his starts. Bone's scored four times and assisted once in the hot stretch, including a brace against Portland last week.
Reno enters the game undefeated when scoring at all, and has yet to lose on Saturday. Both of Reno's losses have come via shutouts on Wednesdays.
Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT from Papa Murphy's Park. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN+, Nevada Sports Net and ESPN Radio 94.5. More information about how to watch the game from home is available at https://www.reno1868fc.com/page/show/5906159-where-to-watch, and information on where to participate in in-person watch parties can be found at https://www.reno1868fc.com/-watchparties.
Scouting report - Sacramento Republic FC
* Sacramento enters the game on a six-game winning streak.
* Reno and Sacramento are tied at the top of Group A with 24 points each.
* Sacramento is 2-0 against Reno this season, a pair of 1-0 wins with both goals coming off penalties.
* Dariusz Formella leads the team in goals with five.
* Sacramento is tied for 15th in the league in goals with just 16.
Inside 1868 FC
- Reno has a chance to clinch a playoff spot against Sacramento. If the boys in blue win, they're guaranteed a top two spot in Group A and a spot in the playoffs. Reno's "magic number" on Tacoma is two. Portland is already eliminated, so anything other than a Tacoma win and Reno drawing or losing will guarantee a playoff berth.
- Reno has won four-straight games, the longest winning streak of the season. The four-game streak is the fourth-longest in club history, behind a five game streak from June 26 to July 20th last season, and a pair of six-game streaks in 2017 and again in 2018. Additionally, Reno is undefeated this season when scoring even a single goal, and has yet to lose a game played on a Saturday.
- With a goal against Portland, Corey Hertzog moved his career USL goal total to 67. In second with 72 is recently-retired Jorge Herrera, and leading the USL Championship is Charlotte's Dane Kelly with 86. Hertzog's 24 goals with Reno are the second-most in club history, trailing only Brian Brown's 28.
- Reno is averaging just one goal allowed per game, behind a strong defense and sharp goalkeeping. Keeper Ben Beaury is 11th in the league in saves with 27. The 10 total goals allowed are tied for the sixth-fewest in the USL.
- Foster Langsdorf has scored in four-straight games for Reno, bringing his season total to five. Right there with him is Corey Hertzog, who has scored in back-to-back games and assisted in three straight. Hertzog has scored or assisted in five of the last six games.
Saturday, September 12 - @ Sacramento Republic FC
7:30 p.m. PT kickoff @ Papa Murphy's Park
Broadcast: ESPN+ (national), Nevada Sports Net (local)
Radio: ESPN Radio 94.5
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 10, 2020
- Matt Hundley Scores in Stoppage Time to Give Memphis the Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nazmi Albadawi Makes 150th Appearance in NCFC Match against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results, September 10, 2020 - USL
- Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale CF to Host Orlando City B - USL
- Forward JJ Williams Rejoins Legion FC on Loan for Remainder of Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- September 11 Match Preview - CHSvTBR - Charleston Battery
- Reno Heads to Sacramento with Chance to Clinch a Spot in Playoffs - Reno 1868 FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Schedule Updates - Philadelphia Union II
- Three Takeaways from #SACvOC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Fall to Republic FC - Orange County SC
- Phoenix's Flemmings Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity, SeatGeek Expand Ticketing Partnership - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic and Cigna Announce Virtual Yoga & Mindfulness Session - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence Launches Season Deposit & Priority Seat Selection Plan for All-New American Legion Memorial Stadium in 2021 - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Announces Intent to Join USL Academy League - Miami FC
- Short-Handed Sacramento Republic FC Rally over Orange County SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Defeated 3-0 on the Road at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- LA Galaxy II Suffer 3-0 Setback vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs Dominate Switchbacks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- SD Loyal Attack Explodes with 3-0 Win against Host LA Galaxy II - San Diego Loyal
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result to Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.