Phoenix's Flemmings Voted Championship's Player of the Month
September 10, 2020 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - Phoenix Rising FC forward Junior Flemmings has been voted the USL Championship's Player of the Month for August after recording seven goals in six games throughout the month to lead Phoenix to the top of Group B in the Championship while also taking the lead in the race for the Golden Boot.
"I think it's a collective effort, a team effort first and foremost," said Flemmings. "It's just a testimony to how hard we've worked over the first couple of weeks and I think we just keep going. There's no individual award without the team, and we keep moving forward as a team."
Flemmings had a standout year in 2019 with 15 goals and seven assists in the regular season for Rising FC's record-setting attack. The 24-year-old has found another level in the new season and is now approaching 50 regular season goals for his Championship career. The past month saw Flemmings record his first hat trick in the Championship in a 5-2 victory against New Mexico United on August 8, and his overall performance this season him in the middle of race for the Championship's Most Valuable Player award.
"I think it's just confidence," said Flemmings of his standout 2020 season so far. "As everyone knows, when you have that high level of confidence, anything is possible, things are just happening naturally. When I get the ball, I know what to do, and it just keeps going."
"Junior's had a fantastic month," added Rising FC Head Coach Rick Schantz. "I think that you can see individually he's been very dangerous, creates a lot of opportunities, scores a lot of goals. His finishing has been clinical this season. I expect that usually when he's going against two defenders or three defenders it would be difficult, but he shows you how hard he works and how competitive he is week in and week out."
Flemmings received 59 percent of a weighted poll that included the USL Championship Technical Committee, a national panel of independent media representing every USL market and an online fan vote held at USLChampionship.com. New Mexico United's Amando Moreno finished second on 27 percent after recording four goals and two assists across the month, while Birmingham Legion FC's Neco Brett finished in third place on 8 percent after recording six goals and two assists over the month.
USL Championship Player of the Month - August
Nominee Fan Vote Weight Media Vote Weight USL Vote Weight Total Vote
Junior Flemmings (PHX) 45% 23% 47% 11% 100% 25% 59%
Amando Moreno (NM) 51% 26% 6% 1% 0% 0% 27%
Neco Brett (BHM) 2% 1% 29% 7% 0% 0% 8%
Billy Forbes (ATX) 0% 0% 13% 3% 0% 0% 3%
Solomon Asante (PHX) 1% 1% 6% 1% 0% 0% 2%
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 10, 2020
- Matt Hundley Scores in Stoppage Time to Give Memphis the Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Nazmi Albadawi Makes 150th Appearance in NCFC Match against Memphis 901 FC - North Carolina FC
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results, September 10, 2020 - USL
- Match Preview: Fort Lauderdale CF to Host Orlando City B - USL
- Forward JJ Williams Rejoins Legion FC on Loan for Remainder of Season - Birmingham Legion FC
- September 11 Match Preview - CHSvTBR - Charleston Battery
- Reno Heads to Sacramento with Chance to Clinch a Spot in Playoffs - Reno 1868 FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Schedule Updates - Philadelphia Union II
- Three Takeaways from #SACvOC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Orange County Fall to Republic FC - Orange County SC
- Phoenix's Flemmings Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity, SeatGeek Expand Ticketing Partnership - Louisville City FC
- Hartford Athletic and Cigna Announce Virtual Yoga & Mindfulness Session - Hartford Athletic
- Charlotte Independence Launches Season Deposit & Priority Seat Selection Plan for All-New American Legion Memorial Stadium in 2021 - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Announces Intent to Join USL Academy League - Miami FC
- Short-Handed Sacramento Republic FC Rally over Orange County SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Tacoma Defiance Defeated 3-0 on the Road at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- LA Galaxy II Suffer 3-0 Setback vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- Real Monarchs Dominate Switchbacks FC 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- SD Loyal Attack Explodes with 3-0 Win against Host LA Galaxy II - San Diego Loyal
- Switchbacks FC Drop Result to Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.