Naturals Cling to 6-5 Win in Opener in Springdale
SPRINGDALE, Ark. -- The Springfield Cardinals (5-10) scored one run in a bases-loaded comeback attempt in the top of the 9th, but the Northwest Arkansas Naturals (6-9) escaped with a 6-5 win in the series opener at Arvest Ballpark on Thursday night.
W: LHP Emilio Ogando (1-0)
L: LHP Austin Warner (0-2)
S: RHP Grant Gavin (1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
-The Cardinals capitalized on four early errors to score four unearned runs in the 2nd and 3rd frames for an early 4-0 lead.
-The Naturals rallied back with five runs in the bottom of the fourth, including a game-tying three-run triple from SS Taylor Featherston and a go-ahead RBI double by LF Kort Peterson.
-Consecutive triples by Featherston and Peterson in the 6th added an insurance run for the 6-4 lead for the Naturals.
-With two outs in the 9th, back-to-back base hits by RF Scott Hurst and LF Shane Billings kept the game alive. 2B Irving Lopez worked a walk, followed by an RBI free pass from CF Dylan Carlson. RHP Grant Gavin, though, came in and dealt a game-saving strikeout to close it for the Naturals.
-CF Dylan Carlson went 1x4 with two RBIs.
-LHP Austin Warner started the game with 3.1 no-hit innings before the Naturals rallied in the 4th.
-RF Scott Hurst extended a three-game hitting streak with a single and has been on base in nine of his last 10 games.
-The Naturals set a single-game team record with three triples in the game (two by SS Taylor Featherston, one by LF Kort Peterson).
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals take on the Naturals on Friday at 7:05pm on Jock 98.7FM and SpringfieldCardinals.com. Tune in 15 minutes early for the Harbell's Grill and Sports Bar Pregame Show.
-The Cardinals return home on Monday, April 22 to start an eight-game homestand. Monday is National Jelly Bean Day with each fan that night receiving two free jelly beans in the tiniest giveaway in Hammons Field history. First Pitch is 6:30pm, gates open at 5:30pm.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Sod Poodles Create Late Inning Drama, Fall 8-7 to Hooks - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sanchez Guides Riders to Walk-Off Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tulsa Rallies Behind Three Homers - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Erase 4-Run Deficit to Defeat Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Greene, Naturals Shutout Cardinals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Rally for Fifth Straight Win - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Teacher Night Ticket Packages Now Available - Springfield Cardinals
- Pence Hooks Jersey Giveaway Highlights Upcoming Homestand - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Cling to 6-5 Win in Opener in Springdale - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Roar Back in Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Three Homer Inning Blasts Travs to Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Martinez Leads Punchout Party in Narrow Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Secure Series Opening Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- $4 Tickets to Go Watch the Ice Bears with Louie on Saturday
- Louie's Valentine's Day Lovebird Special Is Back
- Cardinals Announce New Front Office Promotion
- Cardinals Hosting Job Fair for 2020 Gameday Staff
- Cardinals Caravan Returns to Springfield on January 17