Drillers Erase 4-Run Deficit to Defeat Arkansas
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Drillers fell into a quick 0-4 deficit to the Arkansas Travelers on Friday night at ONEOK Field. But the Drillers offense came alive and scored seven unanswered runs in a 7-5 victory. The scoring was propelled by home runs from Omar Estevez, Cristian Santana and Logan Landon.
After the shaky start, Adam McCreery came into the game out of the Drillers bullpen and completely shut down the Arkansas bats. He retired all nine batters he faced and struck out four while picking up his first win of the season.
The victory was just the third for the Drillers in nine meetings with the Travelers this season.
Arkansas jumped to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first after Aaron Knapp hit a leadoff home run on to the berm in right center.
After Arkansas loaded the bases with three singles in the second, Knapp struck again with a two-RBI single to extend the lead. An inning later, Jordan Cowan plated a run with an RBI single that extended the Travs lead to 4-0.
Tulsa came storming back over the next three innings. After Cody Thomas drew a walk in the third, Logan Landon extended his hitting streak to ten games with a triple that brought home the Drillers first run. Gavin Lux plated Landon with an RBI groundout, and Omar Estevez capped the inning with a deep home run to left.
An inning later, Cristian Santana launched a no-doubt home run to right onto Elgin Avenue, his first of the season. In the bottom of the fifth, Landon stayed hot and joined the home run party with a two-run shot into the Busch Terrace in left to give Tulsa a 6-4 lead.
In the seventh, the Drillers rallied with two outs to add an insurance run. Estevez doubled which a Keibert Ruiz RBI single, extending the lead to 7-4.
Donnie Walton added a solo home run in the ninth to cut the Travs deficit to 7-5.
HOT AT THE PLATE:
The hits keep coming for Landon. The outfielder entered the game with an already impressive .419 batting average and raised it to .441 with his triple and home run.
Estevez notched three more hits upped his RBI total to 11, which is good for second most on the team behind Thomas' 13.
Mitchell White lasted only 1.2 innings in his third start of the season. He gave up five hits and three earned runs before hitting his early-season pitch limit.
Michael Boyle and Louis Head pitched three solid innings in relief of McCreery. They struck out a combined five batters.
The win moves the Drillers record to a game above .500 at 8-7. They are now three games behind the division leading Travelers.
UP NEXT: Arkansas at Tulsa, Saturday, April 13, 7:05 PM at ONEOK Field. RHP Justin (1-0, 1.88 ERA) vs. Justin De Fratus (0-1, 6.55 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Sod Poodles Create Late Inning Drama, Fall 8-7 to Hooks - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Sanchez Guides Riders to Walk-Off Win - Frisco RoughRiders
- Tulsa Rallies Behind Three Homers - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Erase 4-Run Deficit to Defeat Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Greene, Naturals Shutout Cardinals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Rally for Fifth Straight Win - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Teacher Night Ticket Packages Now Available - Springfield Cardinals
- Pence Hooks Jersey Giveaway Highlights Upcoming Homestand - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Cling to 6-5 Win in Opener in Springdale - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Roar Back in Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Three Homer Inning Blasts Travs to Win - Arkansas Travelers
- Martinez Leads Punchout Party in Narrow Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Secure Series Opening Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- BOO-Tacular and Dodgers Watch Party on Saturday
- Limited Edition Mystery Box Featuring Cody Bellinger Bobblehead on Sale Now
- Dodger Game 1 Watch Party Tuesday at ONEOK Field
- Join Us Saturday, October 24 for Hornsby's Halloween BOO-Tacular
- OU-Texas Watch Party Saturday at ONEOK Field